Chapter seven

Chapter seven •

JEANIE

Dear Travis,

In this letter, I am not going to talk about you the whole time. I realized I've been doing that. And it needs to stop.

You're never going to be mine again.

You know that, right?

I know that. Partly because you don't remember who I am, and partly because I won't let you be mine again.

And there I go again. Talking about you.

Lucy and I grew up best friends. But when I had to leave, I think that friendship is broken a little.

Then I came back. And the only person she would talk about is you. I hated you at first because I lost my friend to you. She only cared about you, and not our friendship.

But then I met you.

And I didn't hate you. Not because you were attractive, good looking, and obviously a hunk, but because of who you were.

You never led Lucy on. Never. You always told her that I was the one for you.

And then I denied it. And told her that I wasn't interested.

I forget how many times you asked me out on a date, and I kept refusing.

But I'll never forget those three proposals.

Lucy never talked to me after we got engaged. I knew she hated me.

Because she wanted you. But never got you.

And now she does. You're engaged to the woman who has wanted you from the beginning.

She's got you.

Just another reason why you won't ever be mine again.

Jeanie.

Caryn took the driver's wheel this time. I sat in the back.

I can't stop the butterflies and goosebumps that are all throughout my body. I hadn't been this nervous since I came home from boarding school.

But this time I wasn't meeting my stepfather who hated me; I am meeting my ex-husband, who has forgotten me.

We pull into Lucy's driveway, and I see that Travis' car isn't here yet. I let out a breath of relief.

After we park, I am the last out of the car and into the house.

"Hey there!" Lucy greets the girls. But when she gets to me, her smile dissipates, and I see behind her fake smile that she is baring her teeth.

Sheesh. It isn't like I came here to steal her man.

Yeah, but she doesn't know that.

We get inside, and I try not to scrutinize her house. This is her grandparent's old house, which she must have bought when they died a few years ago.

I remember coming to this house.

That is before Travis.

And I suddenly feel like this place is invading everything I felt. I feel like I shouldn't be here.