third

CHAPTER III

˗ˋ ° ˊ˗

may 23, 1970
9:16 pm

For the remainder of the day all Aurora thought about was her interaction with Harry, the rich five dollar bill taunting her every time she glanced at her filled money jar.

It was a rather weird conversation, Harry being someone who has spiked her curiosity level to a hundred in no time. He's mysterious and the added fact that he's extremely handsome just draws in the sweet girl even more. She's begging to know more about him, and the ache of not knowing is beginning to eat her up inside.

Why would he envy my kindness?

What does he mean by 'must be nice'?

Why did he slip me a five when I didn't do anything to deserve it?

So Aurora took this opportunity and called up Celeste, hoping her friend would distract her from the man with the pretty eyes- or she could tell her even the slightest about him. 

"Styles? You mean, Harry Styles?" Celeste questions and Aurora nods her head, realizing her friend couldn't see her, "yes. The one who runs the smoke shop on twenty-first street."

"God isn't that man a sight for sore eyes." Celeste sighs and Aurora blushes at the remembrance of him because what she said is very true, Harry is an very attractive man.

Very attractive.

"Celeste.." She hesitates when it goes quiet for a moment, hearing a throat being cleared on the other line, "yeah? Oh, right- yeah, he's trouble, Aurora."

"What do you mean?" She questions while rolling onto her stomach, the curly cord of the princess phone getting stuck underneath her elbow as she pulls the housing closer to the edge of her nightstand. "He's just one of those no-goods, Ror. He went out with my sister's friend and he just used her for uh- ya know and left."

"Oh maybe he's not that bad. It could've been a misunderstanding." Aurora hums and she can hear Celeste shift over the line, "there's also a rumor that he gets into a fights with people high off somethin' and nearly kills them. I dunno if it's true but have you seen the scars on his knuckles- it must be from that."

That suddenly scared Aurora, the thought that the pretty man who's store she sells out front of was able to do such violent things. "I hope it isn't true.."

"Me too. Well I gotta go, A. My mom just finished with dinner and you know how she is." Celeste sings and the puppy sighs, "yeah I know."

"Love you! Lemme know if he does anything else."

"Okay. Bye, love you!" Aurora chimes, hanging up the phone seconds after her friend's goodbye.

While putting the phone back on the stand she rolls onto her back, a light sigh falling out of lips as she stares at the ceiling- trying to make images out of the blended paint. Her mind was working on a hundreds things a a minute, a handful or two being about the tattooed man that slightly startles her now.

Aurora refuses to believe that such things were true and that her friend was just telling her bogus, that all these rumors Celeste heard about him were just unbelievable gossip. If anything, that stuff should be about Nate- the disrespectful man from the window who tried to kick her off a property that wasn't even his- not the man who let her stay and even tipped her a five.