fifth

CHAPTER V

˗ˋ ° ˊ˗

may 24, 1970
6:11 pm

—"Let's go for a walk, yeah?"

All the thoughts about Harry being a no-good flew out of the her mind the second he spoke those words, her head automatically nodding as Aurora tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

The sweet girl walks forward timidly as Harry begins to lead them down the cracked sidewalk, going in the opposite direction Christopher fled in.

Aurora has no idea what is going to come out of this walk nor does Harry, but they both don't mind the comfortable silence that drowns the two of them currently. It was nice, peaceful even- just the sound of their shoes meeting the pavement while the sun peeks out of the whipped clouds and the summer breeze flies between the strands of hair on their heads.

It's not until Harry notices something while looking downwards does he say something, a light chuckle falling from his lips, "are you really skipping cracks?"

"Hm?" Aurora hums quietly as she turns her head towards him, noticing the way he watched her feet intently. "You skip cracks on the sidewalk." He repeats.

"Oh yeah. An old habit I guess." She smiles shyly before glancing back downwards, once again stepping over a crack while Harry steps on it without a care. "Don't step on the crack or you'll break your mother's back" He laughs, shaking his curly head, "so you're superstitious?"

"I would say cautious and extremely naive." Aurora laughs lightly and Harry smiles at the sound, happy that she was beginning to feel a bit better already.

"I would purposely step on the cracks as a child." Harry mentions with a chuckle, "maybe even stomp on them a little."

"Wow what a rebel you were." The pretty girl jokes and Harry rolls his eyes playfully before reaching into his back pocket, pulling out a new pack of cigarettes. He smacks the Marlboros on the heel of palm before opening it up, plucking one of the cancer sticks out and placing it between his raspberry lips. Harry takes a lighter out of his back pocket and lights the end of the cigarette, Aurora's eyes stuck on the bold rings that strangle his thick fingers.

"I hope you don't mind. I can't go too long without one." Harry apologizes after taking a drag, the pearly cloud of smoke oozing from his mouth and dispersing into nothing seconds after.

"No it's okay. I don't mind at all." Aurora chimes, shaking her head to get out of the trance before clearing her throat and looking straight ahead.

It went back to silence not long after, Harry continuing to take drags while Aurora builds up the courage to ask a question she's been dying to ask since yesterday.

"Harry?" She sings lightly and Harry looks towards her, enjoying the way his name sounds like coming from her lips more than he should. "Yeah?"

"Why did you give me five dollars yesterday?" She asks as Harry inhales the cigarette for the last time, dropping it to the floor and putting it out with his shoe.

Aurora sighed, she wished he would let her put it out once again.

"Did I? I don't recall." He replies but the honeybee doesn't miss the small smirk on his face as they turn a corner. "Liar."