Chapter Seventeen

At the '50s dance, the students of Mystic Falls are dressed in their best '50s getups and dancing to 'This Magic Moment'. Caroline and Bonnie are dancing together on the dance floor. Elena and Stefan, arms linked, walk into the dance, with Damon standing on the other side of Elena. They look around the dance floor for any sign of danger. Alaric spots Damon from the other side of the room and the smile falls from his face as he recognizes who Damon is. Suddenly, Alaric spots Diana as she enters the dance, alone. She glances around and finally lets her eyes rest on him. He waves a little with a sad smile. She blows a bubble with the gum she's chewing on. Alaric smirks a little, she shrugs back at him as it pops. She turns to head for the punch bowl when Damon suddenly appears in front of her, Diana sighs heavily.

"Hey, you" Damon states, Diana lifts her head slightly and raises an eyebrow.

"This isn't staying away from Elena, is it?" she comments. "Showing up at her school dance...do you need another punch?" she asks him with a smirk. "Or would you prefer arrows?" his eyes widen slightly at that comment.

"How did you..." he starts, she shrugs and goes to walk away. He grabs her arm and yanks her closer to him. "Listen here..." Damon starts before he looks up behind her. Diana feels the warmth at her back as Derek steps closer.

"I think you should let her go" Derek scolds him, a slight growl to his voice. Damon looks down over Diana before releasing her, he holds up his hands and backs away from her. She lets her smirk fade, her heart pounding. Too close. Derek touches the small of her back and she turns to him. "You okay?" she nods a little.

"Yeah, thanks" he touches her cheek and brushes his thumb over her skin. "You came" she points out, he nods. "You dressed up" she teases touching his jacket.

"Yeah, well...We used to have fun at these things" he reminds her, she nods, they did. A long time ago now. He tilts her head up slightly and leans closer to kiss her. She presses her hand to his chest to stop him, aware that Alaric is in viewing distance. "What?" he asks her, stepping closer to her so he's practically pressed up against her. "I can't kiss my girlfriend?" he counters, she sighs a little and then shrugs. He brushes his lips over hers. She sighs against his lips. Alaric watches the two of them, jealousy and pain in his eyes. He and her...they can't ever have that. He's her teacher. She's his student. Even going to a school dance would be impossible for them. Nothing about a relationship together would be easy or normal. He lets out a breath and looks at the cup of punch in his hand.

...............

Elena is standing by the punch bowl, nervously fidgeting with her earring. Derek and Diana approach her, Derek holding tightly to Diana's hand. Elena notices them and smiles.

"Derek" Elena greets. "Didn't know you were in town" Derek shrugs a little.

"Yeah, wouldn't miss this" he pulls Diana closer to him and smirks at her. "Used to love these dances" Elena pulls a face and raises an eyebrow at him. "Diana used to spike the punch bowls" Derek admits, Diana slaps his chest and shoots him a look. "And we used to get stinking drunk then have sex under the bleachers" he continues, his hand taking hers from his chest to hold.

"Derek" Diana scolds as Elena smirks.

"Yeah, Di used to be wild" Elena offers, Diana shoots her a look now as Caroline and Bonnie approach them.

"Having fun?" Diana asks the two of them.

"No, but this took about two hours, so I'm at least staying half of that." Caroline offers with a smirk. "You look great, Di" Caroline adds touching Diana's leg. "Real leather...nice"

"I actually can't breath so you know they're quality" Diana admits touching her stomach where her leather trousers are sucking her in. Caroline and Elena laugh. Bonnie looks off into the distance.

"What's Damon doing here?" Bonnie asks. Diana, Elena and Caroline turn to look at Damon, who is standing with Stefan. Elena turns back around.

"He wanted to come. I promise. He'll behave." Elena answers.

"So what is this, like, a threesome now, you and the Salvatore brothers?" Caroline asks Elena who shoots her a look back.

"No, but if I'm gonna be with Stefan, then I have to learn to tolerate Damon. It's not like I can kill him."

"There's a thought" Diana mumbles out loud, Bonnie and Caroline both nod in agreement with her.

"Mmm."

"I'll help," Caroline adds. Caroline and Bonnie clink their glasses together. Elena looks down, trying hard not to smile at her sister's and her friends' comments.

..............

Later, Elena stands with Stefan and Diana as Derek returns to them carrying two punch cups, Diana takes one when it is offered to her. Derek kisses her head and settles at her side.

"Di" the band's singer approaches them, specifically watching Diana. "It's time" He tells Diana who frowns a little before nodding.

"Oh, yeah" Diana states, as if suddenly remembering she has a thing to do. He gives her a smile and then walks away.

"Wait, are you singing?" Elena asks. "You haven't sung since you got back"

"I know" Diana answers. "Been a while, I thought tonight would be a good place to get back into it, the band said I could have a song...." she shrugs. "Probably going to suck" She gives Elena a small smile. Derek takes the cup from her and nods softly.

"You'll be great" he assures her. She takes a deep breath and then walks towards the band who are waiting for her.