Chapter Forty-Three

Alaric stands with Jenna in the gathered crowd watching the candidates walk down the stairs to meet their escorts. His eyes actually on Diana as she steps down towards where Derek is waiting for her. She looks....absolutely beautiful. Her dress hugs tight to her. The sheer lace almost too revealing. But it works for her. And she's on Derek's arm. It's not like Alaric could have escorted her even if they were still doing whatever they were doing. He can't hold her hand. He can't kiss her goodbye. He can't dance with her. He can never give her what guys her own age can give her. But he wishes he could.

"Miss Elena Gilbert, escorted by Mister Stefan Salvatore." Damon looks around for Stefan. Elena goes down the stairs and looks for Stefan too but she doesn't see him. Damon takes Stefan's place to escort Elena. She smiles and rejoins him.

"Where is Stefan?" Elena whispers to Damon.

"I don't know" He takes her hand and they rejoin the other contestants and their escorts outside. They pass by Jenna and Alaric.

"What is she doing with Damon?" Jenna asks Alaric.

"I have no idea," Alaric admits his eyes still on Diana and Derek as the contestants and escorts and begin to dance together.

...........

Later: The pageant contestants, except for Diana are on the stage, the mayor arrives to announce the winner. Alaric glances around for Diana, or Derek, but finds neither, he tries not to think what they could mean. He tries really hard.

"Where is Amber?" Caroline asks Elena.

"I don't know. Where's Diana?" Caroline shrugs a little.

"Before I crown the winner, I'd like to offer a personal thank you to all of these young ladies for their efforts to better our community." Richard states., and everyone applauds. "So, without further a due it is my honor to announce our very own Miss Mystic Falls, Miss Caroline Forbes!" He announces, Caroline appears surprised.

"Congratulations!" Elena tells Caroline with a smile.

"I actually won!" Caroline admits with a huge smile. They embrace each other; the mayor puts the banner around her shoulder.

.............

Amber is running through the woods but she trips and falls straight into Stefan.

"You said to run!"

"I changed my mind," Stefan admits. Amber screams and he bites her. Diana grabs Stefan's shoulder and throws her off of Amber. She stands between him and her as Amber cries on the ground.

"Don't make me do this, Stefan" She warns as she holds out her hand towards him. He hisses at her, his vampire face out. "Don't..." She snaps at him. He tries though. She throws her hand out, sideswiping him in the throat and pushes him onto his back on the ground, she shifts her hand up and slams her fingers up around his jaw to hold his mouth shut just as Elena, Alaric, Damon, and Bonnie arrive.

"Stefan!" Elena shouts. "Diana, let him go"

"If I let go" Diana warns. "He won't stop"

"Stefan, come on, get control. It's okay, come on. Breath through it man." Damon talks him through. Stefan attempts to lunge forward but Diana slams him back down and she might just be using a bit of her powers to hold him down.

"Diana" Damon snaps at her, she nods and uses her grip on Stefan to snap his neck. She releases him and stands.

"This is fascinating" They spin to see Derek leaning against a tree and watching them.

"Shit" Diana breaths out. "Derek" she states as she takes a step towards him. "What...what are you doing out here?"

"Looking for you, you missed the winner announcement" He states. "I knew you were involved in some....strange things. But..." He lets out a dramatic breath. "No, wait. I know everything you're involved in" He admits. Diana cocks her head and then figures it out.

"You're X" she points out.

"What? Surprised?" Derek asks her. "Didn't think I had it in me?" She stares at him.

"No," She states. "I didn't think you were cruel enough" She admits.

"You don't know me anymore, Di" Derek counters. "But I know you...I know everything" Derek steps closer to her. "I know about Greece. I know about your....heritage. I know about vampires. And I know you've been screwing your history teacher" Derek then points at Alaric. "Him, right there...just in case that wasn't clear"

"What?" Elena asks and looks at Alaric who clenches his jaw. "What is he talking about?" Alaric and Diana share a look.

"Elena" Diana whispers and looks at her. "Later....please" Elena nods a little. Diana turns back to Derek who plays with her necklace, running his thumb over the grooves.

"I know about this, about all of it" he admits. "I was the one that put the camera in your bedroom. I was the one who stabbed you. I followed you every step since you came back to this miserable little town, you dirty, cheating, little bitch" Diana stares at him. He smiles at her as if he hasn't just admitted that he's the one that's been hurting her. Alaric's fist collides with Derek's jaw and Derek stumbles back from Diana. Alaric then hits him again, for good measure, for hurting her, for ruining their relationship, for stabbing her, tormenting her, breaking her. Derek hits the floor as he is knocked out. Alaric turns to Diana who stares down at Derek. Alaric moves closer to her as she cries.

"It's okay" he whispers and brushes her hair back from her face. "It's over" he assures her, she shifts her eyes to meet his. He can see in her eyes that this doesn't fix anything. Derek still hurt her and she is not going to be fixed with this. She takes a breath and backs away from him, his hands falling from her face.

"We need to clean this up" She states and looks at Damon who nods in agreement.

"We'll take Stefan back to the boarding house" He offers. "What do you want to do with him?" Damon nods to Derek, Diana looks at him.

"Can't kill him" She states. "His dad's on the council, he'll notice" She adds and takes a deep breath. "I'll take him to the lake house" She whispers and nods. For now, that's what she'll do. When they turn back around, Stefan is gone.

"I'll find him," Damon tells Diana. "You deal with your crazy ex-boyfriend" She nods a little. "Get them inside," Damon tells Alaric and nods to Elena and Bonnie.