Chapter Thirty-Seven

Elena stands at the bottom of the stairs, she pulls on her jacket and then looks at Diana who is in the kitchen. She's been different the last couple of weeks, since her stabbing. Withdrawn. Locked away. Elena lets out a breath and looks up the stairs.

"Come on Jeremy, going to school! Walking out the door now!" Elena shouts up the stairs. Diana stands in the kitchen doorway and holds out a thermos.

"Forgot this" Diana gives her a thermos.

"Thank you," Elena tells her and then looks at Diana. "Are you sure you won't come to school?" she asks Diana who shakes her head and shrugs.

"Yes, I'm sure" Diana answers. She's been avoiding. Alaric mostly. It still hurts. Having to give him up, even for her own safety. And it doesn't help that he's all over the school. She tried. A couple of times. But she couldn't do it. So she's not going to school. She's hiding. From everything. From Alaric. From X. Elena just figures that the stabbing has her rattled, it would anyone. Especially when someone is trained for the supernatural and hurt by the normal. "I'm not ready to go back yet" Diana offers, Elena nods a little.

"I'll pick up your homework" Elena offers and walks to the front door, she opens it to find John Gilbert is there, he was about to knock.

"Elena!" He greets with a smile.

"Uncle John! Hi." Elena states not hiding her surprise at seeing him on the other side of the door. John looks at Diana as she leaves the kitchen

"Diana." He greets.

"John, you made it," Diana comments dryly.

"I said I'll be here before noon." He enters the house and steps closer to Diana.

"Oh, what you say and what you do are typically two very different things," Diana mumbles and shoots Elena a look just as Jeremy comes down the stairs.

"Uncle John, what's up?"

"Hey!" Jeremy slaps him on the shoulder and leaves. "I had some business in town; I thought that a visit was in order," John explains.

"How long are you staying?" Elena asks John.

"I don't know yet." John answers.

"Okay, well, I'm gonna go to school, I'll see you later." Elena leaves; Diana looks at her and closes the door.

"So what's up with Jeremy?" John asks Diana.

"He just lost a friend, so try to be sensitive." She scolds him, John laughs.

"I'm always sensitive."

"Right, so really how long are you staying?"

"Can you at least pretend that you're happy to see me?"

"Oh my god, Uncle John! It's so good to see you. How have you been?" Diana jokingly asks him, then becomes serious again. "No, I can't."

"Do you really think that I was just gonna sign the escrow papers and send them back?"

"Actually I did."

"I'm not going to let you sell my brother's office."

"It's not up to you; it belongs to me," Diana tells him. "And I get the final say, being that I'm the estate's trustee. Jenna found a buyer...and I am selling it" she pats his chest. "Sign the papers," She tells him and walks past him.

"We're not done talking" he scolds, she rolls her eyes and turns to him, crossing her arms over her chest. "There is a Council meeting today" she frowns at him.

"And?" she asks him.

"There is a vampire matter that has come up" She raises an eyebrow at him.