Chapter Twenty-Eight

Stefan is standing in the Town Square, waiting. Alaric and Diana approach him, Stefan turns to them. A little surprised to see them together. He wasn't aware that they were friends, or that they talked outside of school.

"Thanks for turning up," Diana tells Stefan.

"Thanks for asking nicely" Stefan counters. "So...what's with the meetup?"

"Something's come up." Alaric answers, Stefan looks between them and sighs.

"I take it Diana told you," Stefan comments looking at Diana.

"Yeah" Alaric whispers.

"So it's true. Your wife Isobel was Elena's birth mother." Alaric looks between them both.

"What does Elena know?" He asks them, Stefan sighs, crosses his arms over his chest.

"About your wife?"

"About everything. About you, your brother." Alaric looks at Diana who shares a look with Stefan, he nods a little.

"She knows what he is" Diana admits looking at Alaric. "And she knows that we know about the vampires,"

"Does she know about Damon and Isobel?" Alaric asks Stefan.

"No. I couldn't tell her, not until I was sure."

"Diana said you'd help me." Alaric offers. Stefan nods a little.

"Look, I asked Damon without saying too much. He doesn't remember.

"So ask him again." Alaric pushes.

"Damon is not stable right now," Stefan informs him.

"You know, he murdered my wife, or at the very least made a meal out of her. When has he been stable?" Alaric asks, Diana snorts a little.

"I'm telling you not to push this," Stefan warns.

"Give me a reason not to."

"Your survival. How's that for a reason? I'll handle it, but for now, I need you to let it go."

"Is that what you'll tell Elena? Let it go?" Stefan moves closer to Alaric until they are mere inches apart.

"Leave Elena out of this" Stefan threatens.

"Hey, don't make me hit you" Diana threatens Stefan, he looks at her. "You know I'll do it"

"Yeah, I know, Diana" He agrees with a sigh. He glances back at Alaric before he takes a step back.

"How about I talk to Damon?" Alaric and Stefan both look at her.

"No" Stefan and Alaric both say. Diana lets out a breath.

"Stefan" she starts. "You know what I can do, some of it anyway, you know I can handle your brother"

"He's unstable right now" Stefan reminds her. "I can't guarantee your safety"

"I can protect myself" Diana counters.

"No," Stefan tells her. "Elena would be hurt if something ever happened to you. I'll talk to him again. But I need something more than just your wife's name. A picture, something I could show Damon." Alaric glances at Diana before he retrieves a photo of Isobel from his wallet and hands it to Stefan. Stefan takes it and walks away.

"I'd rather you weren't so eager to be alone with vampires" Alaric whispers, Diana glances at him. "You could get hurt" she smiles a little and then walks away. He lets out a breath as he watches her go.

............

Diana sits on a stool at the bar waiting for the fundraiser to get started, she's dressed up nice. A beautiful red dress. Her winter checked coat. She knows she looks good. She worked hard to look good. She glances at Carol Lockwood who is on the stage, talking into a microphone, introducing the Fundraiser.