T H R E E

Her eyes met her mother's tight smile and while squeezing the fisted hand even harder in her pocket, Betty placed the box of cereals back onto the counter. The older woman walked over to her youngest daughter and took the cereals, lifting them onto the shelf.

"You shouldn't be eating that," she told her.

"I don't have time to make eggs and cut tomatoes right now, mom," Betty murmured, stomach growling.

"Well, that is your own fault."

Betty gulped quietly and gave her a nod before opening the fridge. She grabbed a yogurt that had absolutely no taste and opened the small cup, placing some chia seeds on it and looking at her mother for approval.

The woman smiled warmly this time and nodded, kissing the girl's head before walking out of the kitchen. Betty sighed and blinking back her tears, consumed the yogurt rapidly, wishing to vomit.

She had always been in love with food. Any food, from salads to burgers. But, as she started had growing up and her body had started developing, her mother found a way to destroy those feelings. She still loved baking and cooking, but seldom got it done without wanting to cry to herself.

She needed food for living. But, for some reason, pleasing her mother was a higher priority. She wanted to be a good daughter and craved for someone to support her—even if it were under those circumstances, she found it better than being alone.

Working in a diner had its ups and downs. While Joaquin was feeding the early-risers and workers, half asleep himself, Betty was baking in the kitchen alongside Pop Tate who was energetic and happy as always. The blonde girl still was tired of going to sleep as late as she had last night and waking up early in the morning.

After baking some fresh pies and frosting the cakes that had stayed in the fridge for the night, she was put on the waitress duty. Joaquin left with a small wave to her, and Betty smiled back, mentally prepping herself for the very first customers ever.

She didn't have to wait long though and was greeted by an old couple who seemed to have gone to Pop's since forever. At least Betty thought so from the way they didn't even have to read the menu before ordering. "Are you new here, honey?" the woman asked.

"Yes," Betty smiled. "I'm working during the summer break."

"Oh, that's sweet of you," she smiled warmly. "Guess we will see you around here more often, then."

"I guess so," Betty chuckled. "I'll be back with your order soon."

"Oh, no need to hurry, we have time," the grey-haired man assured. Betty gave him a warm smile and a nod before going back to push the order through the small window separating her from the kitchen. As Pop grabbed it, Betty took a deep breath and seeing that everyone in the diner was happily enjoying their food, started making the coffee the couple had asked for.

She made sure it was nicely done, adding two sugars beside the cups for both of them and cream on top of one. Carrying them to the table, she smiled at the two. "Here you go."

"Thank you, sweetie."

Betty smiled again and, releasing a happy breath, made her way back to the counter. She finally opened the bill for the couple, and frowned to herself a bit, knowing she should've done it earlier.

The bell over the door rang, announcing the arrival of a new customer. Content with herself after the first one, she smiled sweetly at the man who walked up to the counter, asking for an order to go.