T H I R T Y - O N E

The first week of school went smoothly, except for the few fights between people from different sides of the town. Everyone was starting to live into the experience of Riverdale High, the Southsiders troubling a bit with their schedules and homework.

The classes were already in full study mode, the clubs had met their new members... Jughead had been accepted to the newspaper staff by a happy Betty, and a reluctant-looking girl named Ethel.

"Are you sure this guy is good for our team?" she had asked Betty on Wednesday after reading his sample article.

"Yes," Betty insisted, "he has an amazing way with words."

"What will your parents say when they find out a Jones is working with you?"

The blonde had simply rolled her eyes and ignored her friend.

Now, on Friday, Betty was in cheer practice. It took a serious toll on her since Cheryl had made their choreography harder than ever, and the practices were three times a week and would last two hours, plus tumbling practice on Saturdays that lasted one.

When she finally got out of the practice, hair now loose around her shoulders, she headed directly to the Blue and Gold where Jughead would be at. Opening the door, she smiled at him when he looked up and pushed it shut behind herself.

"Hi," she said.

"Hey," he slowly replied, letting his eyes roam over her body. Her tan legs were longer than he had ever seen and the skirt was too damn short for his mind to stay on the right track.

Shutting his laptop lid, he stood from his chair while the blonde dropped her gym bag and fell into a chair, groaning. "I swear, Jug, Cheryl's trying to kill me."

He sat down right next to her and gently moved his arm around her, lifting her onto his lap. With a giggle, Betty rested her head against his shoulder and closed her eyes when he kissed it.

"Tough day?" His hand ran through her hair, gently massaging her scalp.

The girl in his arms hummed, sinking further into his body. He closed his eyes as well, resting his cheek against her head, and grinned when he felt her hand move onto his that was resting on her hip.

"Stop touching my butt," she said, a small smile playing on her lips.

"I'm holding you on the place," he playfully argued but managed to move his hand under the cheerleading skirt and squeeze her ass.

Her hand slapped it away as they both laughed.

"Jerk," she said, halfway through the yawn, only to be interrupted by Jughead making a weird noise, mocking her yawning.

Betty's eyes popped open with a giggle, staring at his amused face. She softly pushed his head away and opened her mouth to manage a normal yawn, which of course, Jughead interrupted again.

"Can you stop?" she giggled, half whining.

"Nope," he said.

Betty pouted and moved her back against his chest rather than sitting sideways as before. Jughead grinned, wrapping his arms tightly around her waist, and waited until her jaw muscles seemed to tighten, mouth surely opening again.

He managed the voice all over again, and Betty's eyes burned into his with rage. "Jughead, I swear—"

"You do? You didn't before you met me."

Her jaw clenched with fire in her eyes as she slid off his lap, untangling his strong arms from around herself. Jughead watched in amusement how she walked to the other side of the room, and when he saw her yawning, kept quiet.