F O U R T E E N

Guess what? This chapter is even longer than the last. I got a bit excited while writing it...

☆☆☆

The next day, Betty was working again. It felt nice to start her morning with the same people that had been in it for over a month already: the old couple, a few construction workers from Archie's dad's company, a small girl with her single father, and loads of different truck drivers.

When noon started to roll around, people with normal sleep schedules started to come to the diner for a morning coffee and breakfast. Jessy was working again, but because of her health problems, her doctor had recommended not moving too much, which meant Betty was on the waitress duty while she took the orders at the counter and prepared coffee and milkshakes.

Jughead walked through the door about at eleven, face ice-cold as he went to sit by himself in his regular booth. He sighed while closing his eyes and rested his nape against the back of his booth. At this point, he didn't even have the energy to look for Betty or see if she was approaching him or not.

The girl, after seeing him, had her brows knitted together while taking other customers' orders, and when she finally reached him, Jughead had fallen asleep. Small snores were escaping his mouth, so Betty just stood there for a moment, gazing at his peaceful face, the expression of exhaustion long gone.

"Jones, wake up!" Jessy said behind the counter, making Jughead jerk a bit and open his eyes. Betty tried not to show her disappointment at that, the frown back on his face. "The girl is trying to get your order."

He looked briefly at Jessy sniggering to herself and then raised his eyes onto Betty's face, biting her lip. "Morning," he sighed, turning away for a moment to wipe his eyes from sleep.

"Morning," she softly said, concern in her voice. "You okay?"

"Yeah," he mumbled, turning his attention back on her. "Didn't get much sleep tonight."

"How come?" she asked worriedly. "Everything okay?"

"It's fine, just problems with my dad," he yawned. Then, smiling a bit at her beautiful face and tilting his head, "A huge cup of coffee?"

Betty smiled a bit, deciding not to ask about his father, because he never talked about his home life, and nodded. "Sugar? Cream?"

He made a face at her teasing and closed his eyes again with a small smirk. "You wound me, woman."

The girl giggled and briefly brushed her fingers against his arm before walking away. She passed the order to Jessy while grabbing a wet piece of cloth to clean some dirty tables.

"New wheels, Cooper?" she heard.

Grinning to herself, Betty looked up at the two guys sliding into the booth she was currently cleaning. "Good morning to you, too, Reggie."

"You made this?" Trev questioned with a smile, pointing at the yellow vehicle outside, on the parking lot.

"Fixed it up," she corrected and gave him a little smile back.

"Ooh, do tell," Reggie grinned. "Wanna lend me that beautiful car someday?"

"No thanks," Betty rolled her eyes. "You wouldn't fit lying down on the back seat anyway, especially with some company."

Trev laughed loudly while the other guy simply smirked, winking at her. "With your small body, who knows."

"Ew," the girl exhaled and walked away, leaving the two guys laughing. Trev and Betty had respectfully broken up some weeks ago (if their earlier situation could even be called dating) and went to the movies as friends, which made Reggie flirting with her a bit awkward for the two of them.