~ BEGINNING ~

Rebecca sat on her bed, tossing a puck up and down for entertainment. Again she tossed the puck up in the air, but without warning, her brother came bursting into her room.

"Rebecca Riley!" he yelled.

Startled by her brother's sudden entrance she missed catching the puck. Wincing, as it landed on her leg with a semi loud thump. 

Her brother stopped in his tracks, "That's going to bruise," he pointed out.

Rebecca looked at him annoyed, "No kidding," she answered and rubbed her leg. Before sighing, "What do you want?" while slightly glaring at him.

Quickly, her attention was drawn to the red object in his hand.  

"Rick. What's that?" she asked, curiously, pointing to the object. 

The older boy approached his sister grinning, "Well. It's mail for you, from Eden Hall."

Rebecca frowned at her brothers' words, disappointed that it was just mail.

"You barged into my room to give me some mail?" she asked with a dumbfounded looked.

The older boy laughed at his sister's expression and replied, "I think you're going to want to open it, Rebecca." 

He passed her the envelope.

"It's probably just reminders and schedules," she huffed, taking the envelope and placing it in her lap.

Rick rolled his eyes, "Stop being so stubborn would you?" he urged for her to open it.

Rebecca raised her hands in surrender and proceeded to open the mail. A satisfied smile settled onto his face as she began to read.

Dear Rebecca Riley,

I would like to start by thanking you for choosing Eden Hall to be the school you trust with your education for the next four years, we are privileged to have a student like you attending our pristine school. 

The reason you are receiving this letter is that over the recent years, the board and I have kept a close eye on your achievements and performance not only as a student but a gifted young hockey player. I apologise, you are receiving this news, later than I would have hoped. But I am honoured to inform you that you will be a member of our J.V Hockey team alongside the U.S.A Ducks, effective immediately. 

Congratulations, Rebecca. We look forward to seeing you on the ice.

Signed,

Dean Buckley, Eden Hall Headmaster. 

"No way," Rebecca looked away from the letter to her brother. 

"How is this possible, do you think Dad had something to do with it?" she asked, jumping up off her bed, not caring about the tingling sensation that was in her leg.

Rick shook his head, "I have no idea."

"One thing I do know though, is those Ducks don't belong at Eden Hall. Dad's going to make sure they aren't there for long," he smirked.

Rebecca frowned her eyebrows at him confused.

"What do you mean?" she inquired.

"Dad's going to get their scholarships revoked as soon as he can. They're no good and going to kill Eden Halls rep," Rick cockily answered.

Rebecca lightened her facials, but couldn't help feeling bad. The Ducks hadn't even stepped foot in Eden Hall and they already had targets on their back. She spun the gold band ring on her finger that their parents had gotten her for Christmas, they had also gotten Rick a matching gold chain. After that, there was an unspoken rule between the siblings. They never took them off, it was like a symbol of their bond.

Rick noticed his sister's sudden change in mood but didn't know why.

"Don't look so down, you're going to be a J.V Warrior," he picked his sister up, engulfing her in a hug. She began laughing, "Rick, put me down, you're squishing me."

"Whatever you say, Becca," he placed her down and pointed to her leg. 

"You might want to ice your leg, by the way." She looked down at her leg to the reddish-brown mark forming.

Placing her hands on her hips, she jokingly sassed her brother, "Yeah, I wonder whose fault that is?" 

Rick smiled at his sister and slung his arm around her shoulder, "Come on. I'll get you some." 

                                                                 ~~~~~~

Later that night the Riley family sat around their dinner table talking about their days. Everything was normal until a voice spoke above the rest.

"Rebecca." 

The young Riley directed her attention away from her dinner and saw Father's gaze upon her.

"Yes, Dad?" She tried to keep her voice even considering she was panicking on the inside, it wasn't often that she was individually addressed.

"The board informed me today about the spot they offered you on J.V," he announced.

"I just received the letter today," Rebecca replied with a small smile, slowly exhaling in relief.

"As a matter of fact," her Dad continued, "I had no say in the matter. Apparently, the board has been discussing a spot for you on JV for a while now."

Rebecca's eyes widened as her smile grew. If what her Dad was saying is true she received this offer on her own, because of her skill, not by her Dad working some deal. She didn't know what she was feeling, but something inside of her felt warm and tingly in a good way.

"I'm proud of you, Rebecca," her Dad spoke, bringing her out of her thoughts.

"Thank you, Dad," she responded, still smiling. 

........

Authors notes:

Okay so here's the beginning. I'm pretty excited and hope you all enjoy it.

Feel free to comment or message me if you have any questions or anything :)