~ SIX ~

Rebecca entered the JV locker room heading for her locker that coincidentally was on the other side of Julies. Wiping away the loose hair from her braid that clung to her forehead with sweat, she felt exhausted. Coach had run them nonstop through drills and it was like they were in the army instead of JV Hockey. Some of the team were talking, but Rebecca didn't catch anything that they were saying over the pounding of her heart in her eardrums, but silence fell when Orion walked in and pinned a sheet on the cork board. Rebecca tried her best to focus on him as he spoke.

Eden Hall requires you to maintain a C average to compete. I believe that's a bad rule.

She nodded her head along with the happy murmurs, hoping his words meant he wouldn't care about their grades, but who was she kidding, of course he would care.

I don't want any C players on my team. I want Bs or better. Or you're to be riding the pine pony. Now you have fifteen minutes after each practice to clear this locker room, youve got homework to do.

Rebecca thought on the bright side, at least he wasnt expecting straight As. Just when she thought he was done and she could relax, he went on, One more thing. Stay clear of the Varsity until we play em in the J.V - Varsity showdown. You got that? and he finally left.

I can totally stay away from the Varsity coach, its not like my brothers the captain or anything. Rebecca quietly laughed at her own thoughts, and began taking off the rest of her gear.

Majority of the Ducks hadn't said much to her, she didnt even know most of their names. After that training she didn't expect much, they had to be just as tired as she was, she just hoped that was the reason, none of them had been outright rude but only Julie and Adam had really talked to her. Brushing off her thoughts she finished packing up her gear.

Hey look, he posted our positions, Rebecca looked up to see the person that spoke was another girl, and she was looking at the paper Orion had pinned up. Other players went and looked at the sheet, but Rebecca stayed seated a little longer.

"I dont believe this, I play left side, not right," a boy huffed as he walked away.

"Third line? man, that's a major diss," another complained.

Rebecca finally got up to look at the sheet for herself. Scanning the sheet she saw her number and name.

17. Riley, Rebecca. 1st line Left Defenceman.

"No bad" she silently muttered.

Adam came up next to her also looking at the sheet.

"I'm not even posted," he spoke.

Rebecca shook her head, "You have to be."

She looked at him then back at the sheet finding his name.

"See," she spoke pointing at his name.

"Adam, Banks. Third line center." Then she realised what list she was looking at, "Varsity."

Adam knitted his eyebrows, confusion laced his voice, "I made varsity?"

Rebecca turned back to say something, but Adam had walked away. She felt disheartened, there was something wrong and she didn't need to have played with this team to know it. Returning to her locker and picking up her stuff, she spoke to Julie before she left,

"I'll see you back at the dorm," she quietly said.

Julie herself seemed down, but still offered a smile, "Okay, I won't be long."

Rebecca nodded and left.

Julie turned her attention back to the rest of her team but was caught off guard by a towel hitting her in the face.

"What the heck!" she said as she removed the towel to see an annoyed Goldberg looking at her.

"What?" she asked, confused.

Goldberg huffed crossing his arms "Weren't you listening?" Julie shook her head and he narrowed his eyes, "Your starting goalie.

Julie was taken back, I am? she questioned.

You are, he confirmed.

Julie slightly smiled before she remembered that Goldberg was also a goalie.

What does this mean for you? she asked him as he undid his pads.

Goldberg sighed, Im your back up, cat lady.

This made Julie more shocked, Goldberg was her back up now, she wasnt his. What was Orion doing? She was happy that she was finally getting noticed, but would that cost her a friendship? Julie shook away her thoughts as Charlie spoke up, So what do youll think of the new player, Rebecca?

Connie was the first to reply, I dont know, but she sure can play. Did you see the goal she first scored against Julie?

Guy joined in, Yeah, it was pretty impressive.

The others all murmured in agreement.

Im pretty sure I saw her in Calculus this morning, Ken answered.

Charlie however spoke again, Well has anyone actually talked to her? She was pretty quiet today.

Averman smirked, Banksy and her seemed to get along, but hes already gone.

Julie huffed to herself as they all continued to speak about Rebecca and she opened her mouth, Shes my roommate, Julie spoke up.

Everyone else around the locker stopped and gawked at her.

Charlie once again was the first to speak, She is?

Julie stood up and shouldered her bag, Yes! and maybe she didnt speak today, because not one of you bothered to speak to her either. I understand youre all concerned, but come on, saying a little more than hi wouldnt have hurt, Julie looked around at everyone individually and they all looked down ashamed because Julie was right. Finally she set her eyes on Charlie, Shes a really nice person, Charlie.

He looked down to the floor before meeting Julie's gaze again without saying another word. Julie sighed, No one has anything to say?

The room stayed silent and Julie shook her head, Right then. Ill see you all tomorrow, she said, then turned and walked out of the locker room, leaving her team without waiting for their responses.

Author's Notes:

Hi hope you all enjoy another chapter. Please comment and let me know how you all feel about the story :)