31

"So

"So...you didn't have sex?" Madison deadpanned.

It's been two days since Reece came over for Christmas. He had to go back that same day to be with his family, but promised to come back for the New Years Eve party Madison and I were going to. So until then, I would be spending time with my favorite girl, which meant giving her all the dirty details. "We both agreed to wait."

Madison just stared at me with wide eyes, not saying a word until I snapped my fingers in front of her face. She jumped back and fell out of her trace, "Sorry," she rubbed her eyes a bit, "I'm just in shock. I can't believe he didn't fuck you in that lingerie."

I shrugged my shoulders, "Ehh, it's fine. I'm kinda glad we didn't, it makes things between us more official and real."

"But you guys slept together all summer...it's not like doing it now would ruin the magic." She countered.

"Yeah, but over the summer it was just sex. This is completely different then that. It's not about sex with him, he actually is proving to me it's much more than that." I explained to her.

Madison seemed taken aback, "Wow. I'm so fucking jealous right now...but in a good way. I wish I'd done that with Emmett. Sex ruined everything between us." She frowned, leaning back on the bed.

"I don't think it was the sex that made things off between you and Emmett..." I trailed off, biting my lower lip in fear of her taking my opinion in the wrong way.

She gave me a questioning look, "What do you mean?"

I let out a hefty sigh, "Madison, you told him you might be pregnant and then vanished off the face of the Earth once he told you he would stick by you. It wasn't sex that ruined the relationship, it was your fear of commitment."

Madison's face grew angry, "How the hell would you know," she crossed her arms over her chest, standing up to walk over to the other side of the room.

"I know because we're practically the same person. Even with Reece repeatedly proving to me that he'll always be there and doing things that shows how much he cares, I'm still scared he'll leave. It's the reason we haven't labeled the relationship, and it's the reason why we didn't have sex yesterday." I said to her.

Madison still seemed upset so I continued, "Listen, relationships are tough. It requires unveiling the parts of yourself that you don't want other people to see. Letting them in and showing them the deepest and darkest parts of you. I'm not sure how serious you and Emmett were, but the fact that he came back to be there for you is very telling of how he feels about you."

She looked over at me with glassy eyes, showing me exactly how sad she was. I immediately rushed over and pulled her into a hug. "I know you're right, Carson. It's just so fucking hard to let someone in."

"I know. Trust me, it's fucking awful to let someone see those parts of yourself. But when they care about you, it's surprising how caring they can be, and then what was so awful in the beginning turns into the best part of the relationship."