-5-

Jason hurriedly came downstairs when he heard the huge thud. I needed to hide before he does something to me. 

I went and hid behind a huge metal box which was in the corner of the room. It had a narrow space behind it, and had thick wires attached to the socket behind. The metal box was hot when I came in contact with it. Jason will obviously not find me there.

He walked into the room and looked around. He figured out that I had created the mess, and put his fists on his waist and grunted. "Why did mom bring a dog when she knew that it was more trouble than fun?" He complained as he picked up the utensils one by one and kept it back on the counter. I was feeling guilty of my actions. I tried not to cry.

"Where'd she go?" He said out loud. Was he finding me? He searched the whole place for me. I sat behind the box silently, not even trying to move as I breathed.

After a few moments, I saw big blue eyes peeping through a narrow slit from where I was hiding. The eyes gave me a confused expression.

"Seriously? Behind the fridge!?" He asked me, confused. Umm..this was a good place to hide.

"Come out of that place, it's dirty there!" He exclaimed. I was not going to move. I sat there without stirring, still looking into his eyes.

"Okay, why are you so stubborn?" He scolded me, and after sometime, I no longer saw him peeping through the slit. I slowly came out from my hiding, keeping one paw after another. I breathed into fresher air, and I saw Jason sitting on the stool next to the platform, and rapidly tapping with both of his fingers onto a slim rectangular thing which gave out light. I looked at him curiously.

He looked up from the thing and saw me. "Finally, okay- mom has asked me to keep you in my room, leashed up. So that you are upto no mischief. Now, come on." 

Wait, you talked to Mrs. Goodwill? Where is she? Can I just apologize, I really didn't mean to topple over those metals. I promise I will be a good puppy. I am sowy.

He walked upto me, and I backed down, trying to go back to my hiding place. But just before I could slide into the gap, Jason caught me and lifted me up. He placed a hook onto my red collar  and I tried to resist, but he had a firm grip.

"Stop being such a bitch!" He scolded, and I stopped stirring and simmered down. I was feeling helpless. I wish my mother was here to protect me. At least she would have explained that it wasn't my fault and would have prevented all this. 

Jason was still holding me in his arms when he climbed up the stairs and walked into another room. It was deep blue in color and not very vividly painted like the living room. He put me down and tied the rope connected to my collar to a hook on the wall of his room. He kneeled down to talk to me.

"You are not going to move an inch from here, I am doing some school work, because my butthead professor could fail me anytime." He then stood up to walk away and then sat down on a chair facing a table in his room. There was a bed pushed to the side of the room, adjacent to which the table was placed. The table had some books opened on it, and yet another slim, perpendicularly placed rectangular sort of thing which gave out light. So many weird things he owned. 

He was constantly tapping on the thing, and I sat there, miserable and sad. I looked at him, I wanted to cry out very loudly, but then who knows what he would do to me so I stayed as silent as possible.

I just wanted to forget what happened and go and play around in the lawn which Mrs. Goodwill had promised me. She couldn't be the one who asked Jason to tie me up like this. 

As I was wondering and figuring out a way to get myself untied from that depressing room, Jason's chair moved backwards. He got up from it, and laid down on the bed. I watched him.

He sighed very loudly, and put his arm over his face and started sobbing. Is he crying? I heard some whimpering, and then I knew for sure- he was breaking down. Hey!! Are you okay??

He sat up, and pulled his hair back. Then he wiped off the tears from his eyes, and his gaze met mine. You can tell me what's wrong, why are you crying? Leaning back to the wall, he curled up such that his forehead was touching his knees. He looked really upset. 

Maybe Jason was behaving so aggressively because deep down he wanted to hide his emotions. His break down came out as a surprise to me because before this I had only seen the ugly side of him.

I tried to walk up to him and give him a sweet snout nuzzle in order to comfort him, but as soon as I took two paws forwards toward him, the leash pulled me back, and the hook gave out a displeasing creak sound. He looked up to see what created the noise, but then again went into his sobbing position. Yes, that could get his attention!

I tried a few more times until Jason finally had to get up from his bed.

"What is YOUR problem now?" He asked me, still sniffling from his cry. Well, I don't have any, but you seem to. Let's go out for a walk, it will get you better. Mom always told me that nature always has a solution to our problems, it's just that we need to go to her and seek it.

"Look, I can't understand you, you're a dog. You don't have problems that I do." and he gently gave me a pat on my head and went back to his chair where he again started his tapping routine. That was the first time he showed a move of affection towards me, and I will always remember it.

My mission for the day had become to get Jason out of the four walls of his room and into nature. I whimpered around, tried to strut on my paws to get his attention, but I only got an annoyed glare from him every time he turned to me from his chair.

 You know Jason, If you could just take me for a walk, we could have so much fun- We could run behind butterflies, lie around in the grass, get warmed up by the sun, that would be such a merry time!

Hey! Jason...let's go for a walk!!!

Hello?? Do you not get me? Let's gooooooo!!! 

Huh, do whatever you want, but if I don't get out of your room today, you will see the most notorious side of me today! I will chew off your shoe and then you will roam around in your stupid shoe!

Are you seriously gonna just sit here all day??

Finally after a lot of attention seeking, when I got his focus on me, I knew I had succeeded. He again was seen tapping on the same rectangular slim light emitting which I had seen him earlier before we came to his room.

"Mom has asked me to give you some food. I'll be back." Wow- how did you again talk to Mrs. Goodwill? Where is she? Mrs. Goodwill, if you really wanted to stay at home and hide, then why did you lie to me that you have an urgent meeting? Biggies are weird.

Jason went out of the room, and shuffled down the stairs. Huh, when will he take me outside?!!? Communication is such a problem here. Jenny was better at understanding me.