PROLOGUE

NO PROMISES

4 years ago

"Do you have to go " I whine

I am lying down with my chest facing his bed squezzing a squash ball.

"Do you have to whine" he retorts , not even looking at me as he packs his things.

"How do you expect me not to whine when you just wake up one morning and start packing your belongings saying you are moving to Paris for more than 3 years.

"I told you this like a month ago"he stated ,matter of factly.

"You know I have short term memory"I point my finger at him accusingly.

"No you don't"he accused back

"Yes,I do"

"No you don't"

"Yes, I do"

"No..." He pauses then gasp in realisation" you're stalling, aren't you?

" No,I'm not" I feign innocence

"Yes you are"

"No ,I'm not"

"Yes you are"

"No,I'm not"

"Yes,you...ugh, you're doing it again , you little ,sly child.

I laugh, knowingly.

"Anyways, if you are done having your fun, can I pack in peace now? My flight is in two hours"

My smile immediately disappears.

" Do you really have to go" I whine

"Ugh, we've been through this, Jessie. Yes,I have to go"

"But why?" I whine even louder.

"I give up " he says, exasperatedly, through his hands in the air.

He goes back to arrange his things into his luggage.

"Did you even think about me when you made this plan" i ask.

"I didn't have a choice" he defends

"There is always a choice. " I counter" you told me that"

"Okay, then this was the best choice"he says

"Right" I state, unconvinced" so who is going to cook me breakfast when you are gone

" the cook" he states , matter of factly

" who am I going to gossip with about boys then" I ask again

" your best friend?" He states again." Like you should have been doing "

" Mabel doesn't know how to gossip about boys" I sulk" she just always wants to talk about books...she's a bookworm.

"You say it like it's a bad thing" He says

I exclaim " it is!"
" You're overreacting" He states.
"No, you're overreacting" i point accusing fingers at him
He chuckles, shaking his head at me and continues what he was doing.
" what about my whining?" I ask again " who is going to listen to me whine about my problems? Not even Mabel can tolerate that. Only you"

"Yeah I'm definitely going to miss that" he says, sarcasm dripping from his words.

" you have an answer to everything don't you" I ask

"Its a skill" he states proudly, giving me a soft pat on the head.

I swat his hand away. He laughs.

Just then a knock is heard on the door and Williams the butler steps in after hearing a come in.

"Sir, the car is ready" he informs. He is wearing a black suit matched with a black bow tie , black shoes and a pair of white gloves like the stereotypical butler. He stands with his hands behind his back.

"Okay, thank you , Williams " he responds.

Williams goes for his bags but he doesn't allow him to.
"It's okay ,Williams. I'll carry it myself. It's my bag after all" He says giving Williams his signature smile.

Williams nods knowingly,with a warm smile on his face.
"We will miss you,sir" he says.
He returns the smile " Me too, Williams"
Willims then exits the room, closing the door behind him.

He sighs" its looks like I have to get going now" he's says as he zips up his luggage and lifts it up from the bed, standing it on the floor.

I just sulk and watch him as he takes his back bag and slings it on his shoulder holding it with one hand and then holds his luggage in the other and starts to roll it towards the door. He lets go of the luggage to open the door then tilts slightly to my direction.

"Aren't you going to see me off" he asks

I huff , folding arms and looking away.

"Oh , come on . you aren't that angry, are you?"

" I'm very angry"I sigh"but I'm not heartless, so I might as well just see you off"

A smile graces his face."thank you"

"Yeah yeah" I wave him off and start pushing him out of the room"let's go"

We walk out of the room and outside the house toward the car which had been waiting in the driveway of the mansion.

"Well..." I start as he stops at the door of the car that has been opened for him by the driver, his luggage and back pack already put in the boot of the car"...I guess this is goodbye"

"No" he says"it is 'see you soon'"

I snort and roll my eyes" yeah ,like three years soon" I retort.

" Actually..." He starts, scratching the back of his head

"Actually what?" I narrow my eyes at him suspiciously.

" It's more like...five...years?"he looks at me wearily "...at the least"

"What?" I give him my signature death glare.

"Don't worry , it will fly by in a flash" he says shaping his fingers.

"How about I snap your neck in a flash" I threaten ,glaring at him

He just squishes my cheeks and coos "Awwn ,you're so cute when you try to threaten me ."

I swat his hands away ,annoyed.

He was the only one that was never affected by my threats and glares. Maybe because he knew I couldn't harm him, even if I wanted to. Though I would never want to. I loved him too much to try.

I sigh "Look, just promise to call me every day, okay?"

He gives me a mock salute" I solemnly promise"

I sigh again. He slowly opens his arms for me to hug him and I step into his embrace." I'll miss you" he says

"You better" I say. He laughs. A laugh that I have learnt to love all these years. A laugh that I long to hear everyday. A laugh that for some reason , i felt I would never hear again. I hope my feelings are wrong. " I'll miss you too"

He let's go and then enters the car and the driver closes the door, entering the car after him.

He pulls down the window of the car "Remember to be a good girl,try to understand Mabel more and don't give the house workers a hard time. Also, stay in school. And on no account should you stop schooling until u have graduated...from college, okay?"

" No promises" I reply. He laughs.

" See you soon , Jessie" He says giving me his signature smile, though his time, it held some sadness.

I wave at him as he pulls up the window.
" Yeah. See you soon..." I reply, with a sad smile on my face.
He waves a little at me and then the car reverses and heads down the narrow road. I watch as the car becomes smaller until it is out sight." ...I hope"

A/N
Hello, beautiful readers.
I am so happy that you are willing to give my book a chance. I promise you won't regret.
Dont forget to like if you found this chapter anticipating and interesting.
If not, feel free to tell me what you found unsatisfactory in the chapter.
Thank you so much,for reading Jessie☺