Twenty-One

NIALL

Her face was a shade that I had never seen before. There was no color to her at all. Not even the smallest amount of pink.

“Mary, what’s wrong?” I looked between her friends and Harry. The look on Diana’s face said that Mary knew about Dale. It was like my worst nightmare unfolding right in front of me. I quickly cleared my throat and motioned for her to come to the bedroom with me.

I could hear her slowly trailing behind me. As soon as the sound of door latching filled the silent air around us, she nearly exploded.

“Is this why you haven’t let me run any errands?!”

“Mary-“

“No, I’m talking first. This is the LAST thing that I should be mad about, Niall! Dale is dead. That is what I should be upset about. But instead I’m pissed off that YOU kept it from me. Let alone failed to tell me that people were connecting you to it! You didn’t tell me that people are saying you murdered him! And let me tell you that your past with him does not fucking help you at this point.”

“Are you finished?” I sighed, my hands firmly sitting on my hips. “I was dealing with it.”

“What does that even mean, Niall? You were dealing with it?”

“I was researching my rights. I was running the errands for you, but I was also figuring out how to defend myself. I wouldn’t kill Dale, you know that. I wouldn’t risk the life I have here to get a moments worth of revenge, Mary!”

“Don’t you think I know that? Goddamn it, Niall, I know that! You have a heart of gold but no one on the outside of this relationship knows that. The police don’t know that. The people in this town don’t know that! With you being ‘under investigation’ a few months ago BECAUSE of Dale, it just makes it seem more likely. Do you get that?”

“Yes. Yes, Mary. I get that! Why do you think I’ve been trying to find someone to help me? I don’t want to leave you guys because of something that I didn’t do! It scares the living shit out of me that I may have to leave you and Tony and Arabella and our life here.” I ran my hand through my hair and looked over at Mary. Tears already wetting her face with more threatening to fall.

“I know, it’s stupid. He was terrible to me and he tried to get you put in jail but I’m so hurt that he’s gone. Diana lost her brother, Niall.”

“And we will get through this,” I began, “just like the last time I almost got put in jail.” I laughed, pulling her into a hug.

“This isn’t funny, Niall. This is serious this time. It’s not like you’re plotting to kill someone. Now apparently you did kill someone and I don’t think you can talk your way out of this one this time.”

“Mary, I promise that I won’t let them take me away from you guys. Arabella needs a dad and I’m going to be that dad.”