23 - Sean

What a perfect nurse she would be, always there to assist me in any way that I deem necessary. And I can think of more than a few things that would be deemed "necessary."

I've searched years for my perfect nurse, the future Mrs. Green, and just when I've found her, I'm told she'll be leaving. That she never wants to see me and my family again.

But I get it. I know this whole situation must be difficult for her. She is, after all, going against everything she's ever believed in just to save one little boy. I would too, if it were one of my brothers on the line, so I understand. But that doesn't mean that I'm happy to lose my nurse. I've never found a woman more perfectly suited for the title in my life, and I don't know if I can keep searching any longer. I'm tired.

And I can't find someone greater than the slice of apple-pie-perfection I've already found. It's impossible, really.

"I work for an organization that goes by many names—most notably, the Academy."

"Never heard of it," Victor speaks. Of course he is the first to do so after a statement like that. He and Corey are among the best hackers in the world, and they know about basically every secret organization. Even the ones on the black market. It's very helpful when dealing JH-14. Makes it much easier to find clients who are willing to pay a hefty price.

Pookie turns to eye him. "Well, we have many people who are willing to die just to keep it a secret. It isn't a surprise that this is the first you're hearing of it."

Victor doesn't seem convinced. Neither does Corey. They're not used to things slipping passed them—especially not hot-shot organizations that have the power to infiltrate and destroy us. Not like it almost did. Not like Sang almost did.

"Tell us about this Academy," Axel almost spits the name out like it's a curse.

She turns to glare at him, picking up the venom in his voice like I did. "Watch your tone, Buzz-kill. Or I'll make sure I don't leave this place without teaching you a lesson first."

It may have been a threat to one of my brothers, but fuck, if that wasn't hot, I don't know what is anymore.

I think I'm in need of a few lessons, pookie. Care to teach me?

Having gotten over his previous bashfulness at her words from before—an admittedly odd occurrence, as he never shows emotion in the presence of strangers—now all I see is anger. Which is still strange, because again, he's nearly as good at hiding his emotions as Owen when before people he doesn't know or trust. Sang is both of those things.

"I'm doing you guys a huge-fucking-favor right now, so you better be grateful. This is hard enough for me as it is without you making me feel even worse."

Something flashes across Axel's irritated face, and while I can't decipher what it means, I can still see that what Sang just said struck something within him. He relents.

"You're right. I apologize. Please continue," he says.

What? Axel apologizing? I never thought I'd see the day!

She nods at him in what I think is an agreeable 'thanks' without words, and he nods back. Then she proceeds.

"The Academy is an organization that was founded solely for the betterment of society. We are a legion, a society, a family, and we are everywhere. In most first world countries there is another branch of the Academy, specializing primarily in their specific country, but all still ultimately work together to aid others in need. The largest branch just so happens to be located in America.

"They recruit people like me with special skills and an innate desire to help those in need. I was just twelve when they somehow found and recruited me, and it'll be exactly six years I've been a bird—what they call us girls in the Academy—in three weeks. That's nearly a week after my birthday."