3

By the time Gregor woke and made it to the small dining room, Luxa, as well as Eli and Hazard were already eating. The sight of the food made Gregor's stomach growl as he realized he hadn't eaten last night.

"Good morning, Gregor!" Eli chirps.

"Hey."
Hazard glances up at him, and then to Luxa. "Good morning."
Luxa remains silent, watching him as he sat and began to scoop food onto his plate.

"Ripred said you would have a bat ready." Gregor ventures.

"Yes. Phobos has volunteered. Caerus will take Eli back to the surface."
Gregor feels something like relief that he would fly with Phobos again. He didn't necessarily trust him at this point, but he at least knew of his fears, and did what could to make it easier for Gregor.

"Wait, Gregor, where are you going?" Eli asks. "You have to come with me."
Gregor gives a tight smile, and shakes his head. "I can't yet. I've got stuff I have to do down here. I'll come back though. Tell my parents--" Gregor pauses, thinking of the panic they must all be going through. He squashes down the guilt. "Tell my family I'm alright. That I'm doing what my mom wanted, on my own terms."

"What?"
"She'll understand. Just tell her."
"Okay..."

Luxa looks to Gregor, her eyes bright. "Your talk with Ripred went well then, I gather."
"Yeah. He's gonna do his best."
"And what of Mareth?"
Gregor hesitates, thinking of how he had behaved last night. "I need...I should probably apologize to him. Can I meet him at dinner?"
"Yes. I can arrange for that."
"Thanks."
Luxa gives him a small smile, and reaches to give his hand a quick squeeze.

"I should probably go." Gregor says. "I need to meet Phobos. Eli."

Eli looks up at the direct address, pausing his conversation with Hazard.

"I'm coming back, so don't forget to tell my family."
Eli nods. "I won't. Promise."

Luxa stands with Gregor, and follows him from the room. "I will escort you to the High Hall."
"Cool."
They start walking, getting strange looks from the guards.

"I'm sorry," Gregor says. "For last night, I mean. I was a jerk."

Luxa doesn't bother to correct him. "You were. You should not take your frustrations out on others."
"I know," Gregor mumbles. "I'm sorry."
"It is in the past, as long as you promise it will not happen again."
"It won't. Promise."
"Good."

The smile that Luxa gives him almost makes up for the fact that he'll have to be flying soon.

~

"Overlander!"
Gregor musters up a smile as Phobos flutters over to them.

"Hey, Phobos."
"You are better now?"
"Yeah, I'm alright now."
"We should leave now," Phobos says, "I fear the gnawers would not take kindly to being made to wait."
"You're probably right," Gregor agrees. "I'll see you later, alright, Luxa?"
"I will see you later," she says. "Fly you high, Gregor."
"Fly you high."

He clambers onto Phobos' back, and holds on tightly as they set off.

~

When they land in the arena, Ripred wasn't there yet. But he emerges from the tunnel moments after they land, and gives a curt nod to Phobos.
"Alright. Are you ready, pup?"
"I guess."
"Get yourself a sword then. And remember what I said last night."
The Warrior is dead.

Phobos follows Gregor over to the stand of swords, and waits until he picks one to start asking questions.

"What did he say last night?"
Gregor saw no reason to lie. Phobos wouldn't understand, anyway.