11

*lotsa blood this chp*

Ripred pads through the hallways, looking for Ben. They needed to talk, even though Ripred was sure that Ben wouldn't want to. It seemed that Gregor attracted stubborn friends, which was good--because Gregor sure seemed to try and push them away as best he could. It seemed like with these he hadn't succeeded, which relieved Ripred (not that he would ever admit that).

Ripred could hear laughter and smell food coming from one of the dining rooms, and he pokes his head in, startling the four pups sitting around the table. Gregor gives him a suspicious look, which he ignores completely in favor of giving his attention to Ben.

"Ben. I need to speak with you."
Ben glances to the others, looking slightly worried. Ripred watches as Eli grabs Ben's hand for a second, before letting go as Ben stands.

"What's it about?" Ben asks.

Ripred glances at the others, fighting a surge of irritation. "Just hurry up."

Backing out, Ripred stands in the corridor, waiting for him to come out.

"What do you want?" Ben asks, stepping from the room.

"Walk with me." Ripred orders.

Ben looks miffed, but nods. "Okay."

They start down the hallway, Ripred's nails clicking against the stone; a sharp contrast to the soft scuffs of Ben's shoes.

"What did you want to talk about?" Ben asks.

Ripred sighs, and swishes his tail. "I wanted to apologize to you."

Ben halts, staring at him like he was crazy. "You want to apologize to me?"

Ripred can't help but snarl at him. It's not like he liked apologizing. "Yes. So shut up and listen."

Ben side-eyes Ripred, scooting away slightly.
"I wanted to apologize for the tunnels, and when we rescued Gregor. I know that that was difficult. You are not nearly as resilient as Gregor. Mentally or physically."
Ben stares at Ripred, slightly appalled. "Thanks."
Ripred clicks his teeth slightly, growing irritated. "I simply mean that for what you saw, I wish to apologize. Because it was something that you did not need to see, and because of my inability to protect you, it has likely been something that has been weighing on you."
"Ripred...that's. Thank you." Ben says.

He doesn't mention that Ripred mentioning it brings it all back up, because he was pretty sure Ripred would bite his head off. Better not to enrage him.

Ripred sniffs slightly, his tail curling slightly at the end. "Of course. I know when I'm at fault. I can admit my failings.

Ben bites the inside of his cheek. "I know. Is that all?"
Ripred glances to him. "That's it. Be safe once you return to the Overland." he says gruffly.

Ben nods, before hesitating. "Ripred, don't like, take this weird or anything, but I think you would've made a good dad."

Ripred blinks, before pushing Ben back towards the dining room. "Just go eat."

Ben smiles, giving Ripred a small wave. "Goodnight, Ripred."

Ripred watches him go, before padding towards the guards station. Mac is standing behind their desk, studying a map of Regalia. They look up when Ripred enters, and a brief smile flits across their features.

"Ripred. I think we have got them. Or at least the head of it all. We have been looking at the meeting places--the constants within that from the intel, and have narrowed down the leader to who we believe is behind it all."