Oneshot #2: Birthdays

The lights were on and everybody was home at Frank Iero's house. There were orange and black balloons, all kinds of signs wishing him a happy birthday, and people everywhere, dressed in every costume imaginable. There were ghosts, mummies, werewolves, witches, wizards, and more, but in the middle of it all, there was a skeleton and a vampire, standing side by side.

"So how does it feel to be twenty-three?" Gerard asked as he carefully adjusted his vampire teeth.

"So far, it's about the same as twenty-two," Frank said.

"It must be so cool to have your birthday on Halloween. I wish mine was on a holiday instead of just a normal day."

"Yeah, it is pretty awesome."

"Ooh, maybe we could switch birthdays!"

Frank laughed. "I don't think that's how that works."

All of a sudden, one of Frank's friends interrupted them. "Hey, do you guys want anything to drink?" he said.

Gerard took a deep breath, trying to keep himself from saying anything. Ever since his breakdown in Japan, he promised himself that he'd stop drinking, but it was harder than he had thought it would be. Everything in him wanted to say yes. Everything in him wanted beer, wine, vodka, anything. He opened his mouth and then closed it again, trying to hold back, stay strong, fight all of those demons in his mind.

"Two Diet Cokes would be great," Frank said.

"No beer for the birthday boy?"

"No thanks."

Frank's friend walked away, and Frank turned back to Gerard. "Good job, Gee," he said.

"Thanks," he said. A part of him still wanted to run after Frank's friend and tell him that he wanted something after all, but he knew that it would kill Frank if he relapsed now, after he'd stayed clean since August.

"You know, it's amazing how strong you've been over these past few months," Frank said as he stepped closer to Gerard. "I'm really proud of you."

"Thanks, but today's about you, not me," Gerard said. They were so close that they could kiss, and if there weren't all of these people around, he would have done it. It took all of the self-control he had left not to lean in and crash his lips into Frank's. Instead, he said, "I'm going to head outside and get some fresh air."

"Okay," Frank said. "Are you still staying over after the party?"

Gerard smiled and said, "Of course."

Frank winked and said, "I'll see you soon then."

As Gerard walked away, his heart was pounding. He made his way through the crowds and headed outside. Once he was in the front yard, he took a deep breath, feeling the autumn breeze on his skin, and he pulled out a cigarette. He was about to light it when a strange man approached him. He had bright red hair, and he was wearing a blue Dead Pegasus jacket and white jeans. It was the face that tipped him off though. It was like looking into a mirror.

"Who are you?" Gerard asked.

"Come on, Revenge," the redhead said. "Don't you remember me? We met last week. You were there when the Trans Am broke down."

Now, Gerard was even more confused. "Seriously, who are you?" he asked.

"I'm you from the future," the redhead explained. "More specifically, I'm you, but I'm a street walking cheetah with a capital G." The redhead started making finger guns, while Revenge just gave him a confused look. "The name's Poison, but don't wear it out."