The Monsters hiding behind Human Faces

JEAN

Trost was packed with people full of smiles and joy as they set about erecting decorations over demolished buildings and ruined streets as if that would hide the fact that barely a few months ago, Titans roamed and painted these very houses with the blood of their neighbours, as if they could easily forget the sacrifice that was given to save their lives. 

I wish I could forget... I wish I could forget it all.

"Try not to walk clustered together, we will stand out." Captain Levi called out, drawing attention to those of us who were in disguises just as planned, "Aurora, Eren, Historia, just act normal."

Nodding, I picked up my pace while trying not to scratch at the wig on my head that was driving me insane and came up beside Aurora, who was blatantly allowing herself to be seen and was scowling at the throngs of people who went about their lives without a care in the world. Of course, that was the plan, Aurora was very distinctive in terms of appearance, and she was well known in Trost, if our enemies were indeed here, they would be looking for her assuming that Eren was close by, and that's where I came in. 

Not that I agreed to this but hey, what do my objections stand for?

Eren and Historia weren't with us, that would have been stupid, instead they were hidden out of sight with Hange's squad and Armin and me, despite my refusal to be Eren's body double again, were walking in disguises as the wanted pair with Aurora in an attempt to play bait, something which wasn't sitting well with me at all. 

It wasn't that I was playing Eren, again, or that Armin was dressed as a woman which he was making a surprisingly good pass as that was bugging me, but rather the fact that Captain Levi was willingly using Aurora to lure our enemy out even though whoever was hunting us wanted her just as much as Eren and Historia.

I thought he cared about her, so why is he willing to risk her this way?

"Why is the royal flag hanging everywhere?" Connie asked suddenly, drawing me back to the flags dangling from the ruined rooftops and my mind reeled at the realisation of what day it was. 

Has that really come around again? Where has the time gone?

"Today must be the anniversary of the king's coronation, sometimes they hand out extra rations to celebrate it", Sasha explained as she looked wide-eyed at the hastily erected markets that held nothing to the festival pavilions that were here the year before, one ore thing the Titans had shit all over.

"Huh," Connie muttered, dumbfounded by the notion, maybe they didn't do things like this in Ragako.

They won't be doing much of anything anymore in Ragako...

"Can I have your attention please!" A deep voice hollered over the gathering crowds, and pausing in the throng of people grouped together we all turned to the stage that had been put up and watched as the MPs made their address, "King Fritz has been moved by the hardships in Trost and as such he is donating the royal family's reserves. Form a line, there is plenty to go around!"

"Long live King Fritz!" the people of Trost began to cheer with enthusiasm and it made me sick to my stomach, they hadn't cheered like this when the soldiers had liberated their city. 

They had cheered for Aurora though...

"All that food and he's just giving it away!?" Sasha asked incredulously as if the notion of charity was utterly unheard of or maybe it was just that she couldn't apply the idea of it considering how she coveted food like a bear preparing for winter whenever it was on the go.