Sannes, First of the Interior Squad

Hange

The lamplighters went about their business as the fading sunlight began to dip below the towering Wall Rose, giving the broken streets of Trost a softer aesthetic to the glaring light of day. There had been not much improvement in this part of town since I was last here, but then again, I had been cutting down Titans not taking in the local scenery. However despite its less than accommodating appearance, Levi was right, this was where we needed to be if we were to succeed.

"This is the place" Moblit murmured as we came up to a half-boarded townhouse that had definitely seen better days, "It looks like a Titan fell on the neighbouring structure."

"It will do for now" I hummed before reaching up to unclip my cloak, "Shall we see what Sannes and his pal have to say for themselves?"

"Gladly" Moblit replied darkly, his lip curling into a sneer that twisted his handsome face with a fit of anger I too was harbouring after receiving Levi's message from Jean in the early hours.

Our team was gone, brutally murdered, by Sannes and his interior police for reasons unknown and I intended to find out why.

And if I have to rip out his fingernails to find out why, then I absolutely will.

Pushing our way into the barely standing home, Moblit and I made our way towards the back of the property, passing the young- and sickly-looking faces of the newly formed Levi squad as the faint echoes of screams floated their way up from the floor below.

Already at work, I see, Levi.

Not sparing a glance at the huddle massed around the table, I lead Moblit down into the basement towards the gurgling sound of a man struggling to scream around fluid to pause suddenly on the steps when Aurora, who was pacing outside the closed-door the noise was coming from like a pissed off alley cat, came into view.

Why isn't she part of the interogation?

Frowning, I slowly descending the last steps as I took in the ugly splotches of yellow bruises littering her face which had not been there a few days ago when I had last seen her. Bruising like that would have come from a heavy hand or hit to the face meaning that any yellow colouring would have been weeks down the line, not days.

Is she... is she healing faster?

"Why are you out here and not in there?" Moblit asked not unkindly and turning to face us, Aurora gave a tight-lipped smile, highlight a healed cut on her thick lower lip, in greeting before jerking her thumb behind her as a particularly guttural scream sounded from behind the door.

"He didn't want me to see him at work." Aurora shook her head as if the idea of Levi wanting to preserve her view of him as anything less than what he is was utterly stupid, and I agreed with her. Aurora knew what she was getting into with Levi and it seemed counter-productive on Levi's part to try and maintain a perception of him that never existed in the fir- Wait. Unless, it wasn't about him at all. What if it was about Aurora?

Did he not want her hearing what Sannes had to say? What is the point in that!?

Growling in frustration as I realised that this was likely Levi's reasoning, I forcefully removed my jacket and threw it aside before rolling up sleeves, booting the door open and dragging Aurora into the room with me because it was damn time we all got some answers, Aurora more than the rest of us, regardless of if we liked what we heard or not!

And if Captain snippety had a damn problem with that, then he could kiss my ass!

"I made it!" I announced with a flurry of my hands as Aurora, Moblit and me piled into the room, spreading out to surrounded Sannes, who was tied to his chair, from all angles, "You haven't finished yet have you!"