The Storm

It's been a week, and the setting on our boat has become grim. It seems like the crew and Zuko have grown further away from each other then I would've thought. The day after our beach day the crew had to work even harder and longer, and we docked our ship less.

I stand next to Iroh and Zuko as I look up to the clear blue sky.

 Chang was mopping the floor, he got the special treatment for speaking up against Zuko "At least the weather is nice," I said to him, "It sure is," Chang grumbles.

"There is a storm coming. A big one." Iroh suddenly blurts.

 "You're out of your mind, Uncle. The weather's perfect. There is not a cloud in sight."

"Iroh might be right, the birds are flying low," I add.

"The storm is approaching from the north. I suggest we alter our course and head southwest." 

"We know the Avatar is traveling northward, so we will do the same." Zuko insists.

Chang was about to open his mouth in protest as I shoot him a glare.

"Zuko, consider the safety of the crew!" I tell him.

"The safety of the crew doesn't matter!" Zuko snaps, just in time for the lieutenant to hear. Lieutenant Jee raises his eyebrows at him in disapproval. Zuko makes his way to the door, but before he leaves he stops in front of the lieutenant. "Finding the Avatar is far more important than any individual's safety." 

I stand wordlessly as I look at the lieutenant's Jee's angry face. "He doesn't mean that!" Iroh jumps in.

An hour passes as we can now see the storm approaching dangerously. I sigh as I look towards Zuko, giving him a disappointed look. "Uh! Looks like your uncle was right about the storm after all." Lieutenant Jee says to Zuko.

"Lucky guess!" Iroh smiles.

"Lieutenant, you'd better learn some respect," Zuko warns as he points at him. "Or I will teach it to you." 

Zuko passes the Lieutenant as I facepalm, I'm not gonna save him this time. Lieutenant Jee grits his teeth in anger as he turns to Zuko.

"What do you know about respect? The way you talk to everyone around here, from your hard working crew to your esteemed uncle shows you know nothing about respect. You don't care about anyone but yourself! Then again, what should I expect from a spoiled prince?"

Iroh and I share an uncomfortable look.

"He's right you know? You treat us like trash, and expect us to respect you!" Chang chimes in.

Zuko stops mid-step as he turns back to lieutenant Jee with a furious look in his eyes, a recipe for disaster. He gets into a firebending stance as Lieutenant Jee and Chang follow suit.

"Easy now," Iroh warns.

The three men stand in a triangle as heat starts boiling the atmosphere around us, I jump between the three in protest. "Cut it!" I say angrily. "We are all a bit tired from being at sea so long. I'm sure after a bowl of noodles everyone will feel much better." Iroh adds, trying to extinguish the anger between the three.

Zuko huffs, and the three break apart. Lieutenant Jee and Chang walk away to the cantine.

"I don't need your help keeping order on my ship." Zuko sneers at me. "Grow up." I spit back.

Iroh tries to put a hand on Zuko's shoulder, but Zuko nudges him off angrily as he marches towards the bow where he starts to look at the storm which was about to pass over us.