Azula

S2 The Avatar State

After three weeks of suffering, we had finally hit land, Iroh had decided to take us to a bathhouse. I was finally able to wash off all the seawater and nasty stuff that had clogged onto me. I leave the bath as I look down upon it. The clean water had turned a dirty muddy color as seaweed was floating on top of it.

I feel a bit ashamed of my mess, but yet, I feel like I deserved the treat. "Meh," I shrug as I put on my robe and leave the room. Immediately after I close the door I hear a girl shriek, and I can't help but chuckle a bit.

I found Iroh and Zuko on a massage terrace. Zuko has a big straw hat on to cover his scar as he looks away. I sit down as well. 

"Aaahhh... this is what I've been missing. Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make one so tense." Iroh sighs contentedly. When Iroh turns his head to see Zuko moping, he gets up. The two leave the terrace.

Iroh moves to sit down between us. "I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?"He asks Zuko. Ah... Forgot.

"Three years ago today I was banished. I lost it all. I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, I want my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless." Zuko says.

"I'm sure he doesn't! Why would he banish you if he didn't care?" Iroh asks bluntly.

Zuko gets up and leaves as I shoot a glare towards Iroh. "Ehh, that came out wrong didn't it?" He asks me. "What point did you want to get across?" I ask Iroh before I follow Zuko.

Later on, we're having lunch.

"Look at these magnificent shells! I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come."Iroh says as he inspects a few of them.  "With respect Iroh, we really don't need this," I say, inspecting one myself. "Although, maybe one is fine," I admit. 

"You forget that we have to carry everything ourselves now." Zuko sulks. 

"Hello, brother. Uncle. Rie."

It can't be. I think to myself as the three of us turn around. 

"Azula," I say coldly. She glares at me.

"What are you doing here?!" Zuko asks angrily.

 "In my country, we exchange a pleasant 'hello' before asking questions," Azula says as she faces us. " Have you become uncivilized so soon?" She adds. 

" To what do we owe this honor?" Iroh chimes in. Azula puts a hand to her chin. "Hmmm, must be a family trait. Both of you so quick to get to the point." With the last word, she shatters one of Iroh's shells with her sharp nails.

She circles around us as I keep her in close range.  "I've come with a message from home. Father's changed his mind. Family is suddenly very important to him. He's heard rumors of plans to overthrow him—treacherous plots. Family are the only ones you can really trust." She says sharply. while giving me a side-eye. Guess I'm not family, wouldn't want to be either.

"Father regrets your banishment. He wants you home." She says while her voice and face soften up a bit. Zuko is taken aback as he keeps quiet.

 "And Rie, you're a bit late." Azula says, "You were supposed to be at the Fire nation palace well over a year ago." She sneers as she narrowly walks past me.

"But that's okay, father still needs you to guard him." She tells me. I nod, yet, I am skeptical. 

"Did you hear me? You should be happy. Excited. Grateful.  I just gave you great news." Azula says expectantly to us.