Chapter 2

Following a good meal and a lot of business talk, they headed back to the office. While Leopold and Robin attended the final meeting of the day, Regina filed paperwork in his office.

Everyone was finishing early today due to the party tonight. The party was taking place in Leopold's fathers 'party mansion' - which was strictly used for business and celebrations. A few guests attending, who were close friends/ relatives of Leopold and his family, usually stayed overnight. The following morning they'd be served a luscious breakfast before they went on their way. Of course, Regina would be staying over with Leopold. Robin would also be staying over with his plus one- probably his 'girlfriend' Marian.

  Finally the meeting was over and everyone left the office complex. Regina and Leopold went home and spent the rest of the afternoon getting ready for the evening events. As most of the men did, Leopold wore a suit accompanied by his 'family' heirloom - cufflinks. Under Leopold's instruction, Regina was dressed in a body complementing black dress that stopped just above her knees. Her dress was accompanied with a jacket- although the bruises on her arms were almost entirely hidden by makeup, it was a safety pro caution. A part of a Regina told her to run, as far as she could, as fast as she could, but she couldn't. She couldn't run and she didn't know why.

  Leopold and Regina were one of the first to arrive at the party, along with Robin and his plus one. Swiftly, others began to join them, Leopold mingled while Regina finished her fourth drink. Champagne wasn't Regina's favourite drink however this was all that was being served, so she made do.
  After many more glasses of champagne followed by a bit of stumbling, Regina made her way outside. She stumbled down the path leading to the lake that the house looked upon. Carefully as she could, she took a seat on the damp floor looking out over the lake. She had no control over the tears that were falling or her shaking hands as she let everything go.
  No one went as close to the lake as Regina did that night, except one. Robin had had enough of the party as most of the adults were drunk anyways, including 'his girlfriend' who was flirting with every married man in sight. He decided to take a walk down to the lake, to look out at the open water.
  Regina was sat emotionless staring over the still water. Her eyes we red and bloodshot, her cheeks rosey, mascara still running down her face. Robin took a seat next to her. "Regina?" He gently put his hand on her shoulder as she turned to face him. "Regina, what happened?" He asked softly accompanied by a gentle smile, "Shall I go and get Leopold?" All Regina could do was shake her head, so that's what she did.
The problem with makeup is that it isn't fool proof.

Regina had brought a glass of champagne down to the lake with her. She held the glass in her hand about to take a sip, "Regina?! What are you doing down here?" She jumped up spilling the liquor down her arm. Leopold was stood staring at her with a hint of disgust, he held out his hand and she reluctantly took it. Robin stood up and as he was about to walk away he saw the faint purply mark forming on Regina's arm, except the mark wasn't forming it was just showing.