Chapter Five | A Slump

After losing two big games in a week, Coach Castro felt compelled to sit me down for a talk. I considered it a feat, coming out of the locker room without shedding a single tear after getting yelled at so hard. Coach almost popped a vein.

Yes, it was my fault we lost. My dismal statistics would tell you that. For two straight games, my field goal average went from 70% to 30%. For two straight games, I cost the team crucial turnovers, gave away useless fouls, and was unable to convert decent points at the free-throw line.

A mess on legs was what I was, Coach Castro told me.

Justine and Colby knew why I suddenly seemed to have lost my mojo, but I refused to admit it. I’d already lost two games for the Lady Hunters; I wasn’t going to lose whatever shred of pride I still had in me.

“Garnet, it’s almost ten,” Colby pointed out. The sports teams that occupied the courts, as well as the cheer squad, had already gone home, but I was still hell-bent on getting my free-throw shooting right. I couldn’t afford to lose another game, especially not when a big game with the Scorpions was up next.

“You can go ahead, Colbs.”

“Don’t be too hard on yourself.”

I dribbled the basketball, hard and deliberate, against the wooden floor. I wanted to drown Colby’s words out.

Aim. Shoot. Miss.

Damn it.

“You’re burning yourself out.”

I was burned out, but what I felt was so much more than physical exhaustion. My last conversation with Charles sapped a lot of my strength. I couldn’t sleep well thinking how mad he was when he left the café, couldn’t eat well realizing he’d been actively avoiding me around campus, acting like I didn’t exist.

I retrieved the ball and threw it hard against the backboard before I let myself collapse onto the floor. My heart pounded violently in my ears, and I shut my eyes tight, if only to keep myself from getting blinded by the lights overhead.

“Let’s go home, okay?” Colby dropped onto her knees beside me and placed a hand on my arm. She probably saw the tear that rolled out from the corner of my eye, because she sighed, “Oh, Garnet,” and took my hand in hers.

“I’m just tired.”

“Charlie’s just being stupid.”

“Me too.”

“You were only trying to help. If he can’t see that, I can’t be friends with him.”

I lifted an arm to hide my face when I began to sob. “I think I like him, Colbs.”

“We all do.”

“No. I think I really like him. I might be giving myself too much credit, but I think I’ll be better for him than Nica ever will.”

I felt Colby pull my arm, forcing me to sit up and face her. She reached for my face, the glint in her eyes firm. “You are better for him than anyone ever will, Garnet. Justine and I have been rooting for both of you to end up together all these years!”

“What?”

“You’re great people, and together, you’re a wonderful team. We see how you support each other selflessly, how you have each other’s backs no matter what. You share jokes we’ll never ever get, even your quirks complement each other’s... and I sincerely believe Charlie is happier and more himself when he’s with you.”

“Well, it’s too late now. I’ve ruined everything.”

Colby shook his head and hugged me tight. “Oh shush. Nothing is ever too late.”

* * * * *

The Lady Hunters defeated the Scorpions the following week, but not because I was able to up my game. In fact, I warmed the bench eight minutes into the second quarter because, as Charles had predicted long ago, my land and pivot resulted in a badly sprained ankle.

Bad news: No basketball for at least two weeks, which sucked because that meant I’d miss the semifinals. Perhaps it’s the universe’s way of giving us a hand, I thought.

Worse news: I had to navigate the campus in crutches, which sucked even more because it made me feel vulnerable. But thank God for Justine and Colby, who patiently took turns walking me to my classes. They helped me carry my stuff and made sure I didn’t slip and fall on the wet, rained-on floors.

“Call me when you’re ready to leave for your next class,” Justine said as I struggled to take a seat. She placed my knapsack on my desk, took my crutches, and leaned them against the window beside me.

“Yes, Mom.”

“Shut up. If you leave this room on your own, I swear to God...”

“I won’t. I promise.”

As Justine left to get to her own class, she bumped into Charles, and I looked away. I heard him mumble a greeting that went unreciprocated.

I focused my attention on my Philosophy notes, only looking up when I sensed someone take the seat beside me. It was Charles, who wore an deadpan expression on his face as he flipped through his own notes. I scanned the rest of the room and saw several more vacant chairs.

Call me crazy, but I expected something to happen. Small talk or something. Anything.

But nothing happened. No small talk, no exchanged notes. I wanted to say something, but eloquence and I seemed to have stopped being friends too. When the class ended, Charles left the room without a word.

So much for expectations.

All of a sudden, I didn’t feel like calling Justine. Or Colby. I didn’t feel like attending my next class either. All I wanted was to be alone for a while, so I gathered my things, grabbed my crutches, and went on my way.

As I stepped out, however, I saw Charles standing idly by the door. He had both hands in his jacket pockets, and it seemed like he was waiting for someone.

“I distinctly remember Justine telling you to call her…,” he said matter-of-factly, holding his hand out to me. Confused, I just stood there, staring at him as though he were a cosmic anomaly.

He stepped forward and took my bag, slung it over his shoulder in a quick second. It felt strange to see him smiling at me again. It was faint, but it was there, and it was more than I could ask for.

“Come on. You have Calculus next, don’t you?”