Chapter 2

Well now Sam could understand why everyone had thought he was a jungle man. His beard had grown out of control and his hair was past his shoulders. He had never really cared what he looked like. But what was looking back at him in the mirror was not him. Luckily Olly had brought in some nice old women or witch Sam couldn't tell at least not until she started cutting his hair with her iron nails, witch then. When she was done he took a very long bath and spent a majority of the time scrubbing off dirt. 

When he looked back in the mirror he was shocked to see who was standing before him. He hadn't seen himself in three years. He was so much older now and he looked it. He came out of the bathroom to find a simple dark blue tunic and some tan leather riding pants waiting for him. It was mid afternoon by now and he was getting hungry.
He found Olly, luckily with food, waiting for him by the books and desk in his room.

"Are you hungry Sam?" he asked holding up a plate of breads and cheeses.

Sam took the plate, sat down, and started eating waiting for Olly to start explaining everything.

Finally Olly took the awkward silence as a signal to start talking. "Well I don't know a lot but I do know Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius is the Queen of Terrasen. How you know her well that's for you to tell me."

"I don't know who that is, but I do know a Celaena Sardothien. What did Manon mean when she said "Celaena to you?""

"Well, I've heard rumors the queen had identities before she came back for her crown. But it is not known to me who she was then. Some call her the assassin queen if that means anything to you?"

Sam only shook his head. That couldn't be right. Celaena wasn't a queen. She was an assassin, heir to Arobynn's guild. But who was she before Arobynn?

"Olly, how old was the queen when she was assumed dead??"

"Oh she would have been about 8, why?"

Sam slumped back into his seat. The dates fit. Celaena was 8 when she came to the guild. Did Arobynn steal her? Why had she lied to him all that time?

"Where is the queen now?"

"She's in Terrasen of course. With her court and her husband."

Sam's face went slack. "Husband?"

"Yes Rowan Whitethorn, her mate and all powerful fae male. Quite handsome too. He and part of his cadre are in her court, they helped destroy Maeve and the Valg Princes. It was quite a messy war your lucky you missed it."

Of course she had married, Sam thought. Anyone as beautiful as Celaena would have suitors lining out the door. Just maybe a small part of Sam thought she might have waited for him. He pushed the thoughts out of his head. He pushed all thoughts of their rekindling out of his head. If she was married now he would respect that. Especially since this Rowan was her mate. But he still needed to see her to make sure she's okay. His plans were the same. He would find the papers, get them to the Chiefs guy, and then go to Terrasen to see Celaena, well Aelin now he supposed.

"Is there anything else about this Queen of Terrasen you know?" Sam asked. He knew in his heart it was Celaena but hearing some more facts might help his head wrap around it.

"Well other than the fact that she can summon fire and she's also a super powerful faerie queen, nope that about covers it."

And with that Sam was ready for bed.

He didn't see Manon again before they left the next morning. He wanted to ask her more about what she had said to him the day before but he supposed his questions would have to wait. He'd been told they were a few miles north of Briarcliff along the shores. They should be in Meah in about a week with no delays. This was the perfect amount of time for Sam to decide on a plan to steal the documents from Lexington.