Chapter 9

Rome was already up and dressed by the time Sam started to stir. Breakfast had arrived and they were set to leave within the hour. With nothing to really pack Rome sat down to drink her tea when Sam eased out of bed walking for the bathroom. As she watched him go she couldn't help but smile at the butterflies in her stomach. He was no doubt handsome but more than that she always knew he would be able to make her smile. And something about that comforted her more than she thought she needed.

"Are you nervous?" Sam asked as he sat down and took a bite out of a muffin.

"To meet Rowan or spend more time with the Lochans?" Rome said recalling their dinner last night. It had gone surprisingly well but that didn't mean she wasn't sweating bullets every second of it.

"Both I guess. I mean it's not everyday you find out you have a long lost brother. And the King Consort of Terrasen none the less." He said studying her.

"I'm more worried what he will think. What if he doesn't want a half sister, or what if he doesn't believe I am, I mean I'm not even sure I still believe it." Rome didn't know what she would do if he didn't want to talk to her. She hadn't even considered this, but what if he didn't have the answers her mother thought he would.

"I don't know Rowan Whitethorn but if he can handle Aelin believe me he can handle learning he has a long lost sister." He laughed his eyes distant as if he was recalling many memories in his head. I had forgotten what was at stake in this for him too.

"Well, how about you are you ready to tell your ex girlfriend your not really dead?" He took a moment to think.

"I want to throw up every time I think about how this will go. I don't know exactly who I will be meeting when we get to Orynth." He blew out a breath shaking his head. "I was in love with Celaena and part of me is sad that she is gone but another part is so damn excited to meet Aelin and see just how far this girl I grew up with has come. I'm very conflicted." He smiled at me with tears in his eyes and my heart broke a little at the sight. I smiled back and pulled him into a hug. We sat their together until it was time to go.

By the time we were out of Perranth the sun had reached its peak for the day and I was drenched in sweat. Rowan from the loud panting behind me sounded as though he wasn't doing much better.

"Don't worry we will be to the Oakwald forest soon and the trees will give us some much needed cover." Elide said fanning herself with her hand. Rome gave her a grateful smile and took a swig of her water.

Lorcan and Sam were in the carriage playing cards. And from the sound of it Lorcan was losing, badly. She dared a look back to find Sam grinning wide at a brooding Lorcan. The look he gave back to Sam was enough to turn her back around. Elide must have noticed her worried expression and threw an apple at Lorcan. He swatted it away and gave Elide a glare not to much different from the one he had given Sam a moment ago. Only this time Elide gave him the same one back. He eventually backed down and Elides stare turned to a sweet smile. Rome turned towards Sam who only shrugged his shoulders.

That night over dinner, which was surprisingly good considering they were on the road, Sam and Lorcan had put the little scuffle behind them. Now discussing what kind of blade they preferred in a fight.

While they were indulged in conversation Elide was telling Rome about her unlikely friendship with Manon Blackbeak. When Rome had mentioned Sam had met the Crochan Queen Elide had looked in Sam's direction as if she were searching him for signs of injury. They continued to discuss other people Elide had met during the last few years when she asked Rome a question that opened memories she did not want to remember.

"How long did he hurt you for?"

Normally Rome would avoid the question but the look in Elide's eyes was all too familiar. She had seen the look before in the mirror for the past 5 years of her life. She suddenly wondered where Elide had gotten that limp from and dreaded the answer she conjured up.