Chapter 12

Sam shoved another piece of chocolate cake into his mouth as Aelin told him stories of the war. He had heard many versions from Lysandra and Elide but hearing them directly from Aelin was much more entertaining.

"You really sat waiting in Rolfe's office in the dark for a whole hour?!" Sam asked laughing at the thought of Aelin waiting in the dark to surprise anyone

"You know I like my entrances to be flashy." She said grinning. "That wasn't even the best part he had no idea I was Aelin. You should have seen the look one his face when he realized who I was. It took everything I had not to break down laughing right there." Sam doubled over howling at that. Remembering how shocked he was when he found out, he could only imagine how furious Rolfe would have been.

Sam and Aelin had been gorging on deserts in the library for the last half hour while they waited for the others to wake up. Sam had been awoken by Rome an hour earlier. He had been worried restless the whole night and had finally managed to fall asleep as the sun had come up. His nap was short lived however as about an hour later he was stirred by the sound of Rome twisting in her covers. He had been about to open his eyes and speak to her when he heard her whisper "I love you Sam Cortland." He was so shocked he couldn't move. Before he knew it she had gone back to sleep and Sam was skipping down the hallways with glee. It was then he had bumped into Aelin.

When he had asked her what she was doing up so early her only response was "I wanted cake." Now sitting in the library with her he had forgotten how nice it was to just sit and talk with Aelin. He was in the middle of explaining his encounter with Manon Blackbeak when Rome walked into the room leaning heavily on Rowan. Sam fought to hide his blush as they locked eyes. She offered him a smile and Rowan helped her to her seat at the table next to Sam.

"Cake? This early?" Rowan asked as he sat down besides Aelin.

"I had a craving." She said taking another bite. Sam huffed a laugh and took a bite himself.

A moment later the door swung open Lysandra walking in waving her hands in big gestures as she explained something to Aedion who was nodding energetically. She stopped as they neared  the table.

"Oh good everyone's here. Well almost everyone." Lysandra said looking around the room. "How much sleep does Lorcan need?" She asked shaking her head.

"Don't you know, Lorcan desperately needs his beauty sleep." Aelin said snickering to herself.

"Your not wrong." A voice behind Sam said. It was Elide, who also happened to be holding Rowan. "He should be here soon. I may or may not have poured cold water on him." At that they all let out a chuckle. Elide had stayed behind to wait incase the kidnappers had sent a note and because to Sam's surprise she was pregnant. During her time in the castle it seemed she had spent a lot of time with Rowan for he was very contently laying in her arms.

Rome scooted over to allow room for Elide to sit. Once they were all seated Lysandra whispered something to Aelin who imediantly perked up. She leaned over and said something to Rowan who thought for a moment and nodded his head.
She turned her attention back towards the group

"What do you guys think of having... a celebration?" Aelin asked looking directly at Rome and Sam.

"Like a party?" Sam asked

"Yes, a party!" Lysandra cut in practically bouncing in her chair. Aedion next to her looked just about as excited.

"If you don't mind me asking, what for?" Rome asked her voice scratchy. She was still recovering from her injuries and it broke Sam's heart to see her in such pain.

Aelin considered her question for a moment "We will host a gala for the return of the King's long lost sister and the Queens long lost friend." She answered looking very pleased with herself.