Chapter 10

Sam stared with wonder at the city bustling around him. The streets filled with fae and human alike. Children playing in the fountains. Adults dancing in courtyards of bars and taverns. And a beautiful orange flower that seemed to glow with the intensity of a flame covered the land surrounding the city. New buildings were being built all around filling his ears with the sound of hammers and workers shouting orders to each other. There was one building in particular that seemed to be grander than the rest. An enormous gold building still in construction.

Sam turned to Elide and asked "Do you know what that building is going be?"

Elide smiled and said "That is going to be Aelin's theater where the most beautiful music on the continent can be heard."

Sam's breath stalled as he remembered going to the theater with Celaena and Arobynn. He thought it was dreadfully dull but he remembered the way she was able to get lost in the music and escape her life. He couldn't wait to go with her again. This time attending with Rowan and Rome too. He looked over to find Rome talking with Lysandra as she pointed out landmarks to him. One being a giant monument of thirteen wyverns as Olly had called them and what seemed to be witches atop each one. He would have to hear the story behind them he thought silently to himself.

They continued walking through the streets as Sam readied himself to see Aelin. She still thought he was dead and he wasn't sure how she would take the sight of him. Hopefully better than Lysandra had. Remembering he wasn't the only one going to meet someone he walked over to Rome and took her hand. It was shaking slightly in his own and he leaned over whispering in her ear.

"Everything is going to be fine. Don't worry." She gave him a thankful smile and squeezed his hand.

She was distracted a moment later however as she turned to look at the alley they were passing. He looked over in time to see a hooded figure watching them, no watching Rome he realized. He narrowed his eyes and turned back to Rome who looked more confused than worried. He looked back out but the man was gone. Remembering all the attacks he had encountered these past weeks a chill went down his back. If these people were following them there was no doubt in his mind they would come after him or Rome again. This time however he would have Aelin by his side and there was no one crazy enough to confront her. He needed to discuss what he's seen with her. There was no doubt in his mind they would be able to figure it all out.

He hadn't realized how big the city of Orynth was until he noticed they had been traveling for a good hour and were just now beginning to see the castle on the horizon. Sweat was sliding down his back at his anticipation and nervousness. He hadn't seen her in three years and he was a wreck. Every question about their reunion was returning to him. Every worry and hesitation too. He was so enthralled in his own problems that he hadn't even noticed when they had stopped and when Rome had told him she was going to take Rowan to go to the bathroom until it was too late.

༻༺

Rome was amazed by how beautiful the city was. She could see herself and hopefully Sam spending there lives here. She had seen the strange man in the alley but didn't make much of it. No one would attack them in the city ruled by the most powerful queen alive... right? They had stopped to allow the horses to drink and she took the opportunity to allow Rowan to do his business. She was very happy with how good he's been on the trip so far. She was busy thinking of ways to reward him when she realized she had gone much farther into the alley ways than she had planned. Rome turned in a circle unable to find the way back to the carriages.

She was about to ask someone for directions when her vision suddenly turned black. She struggled as arms wrapped around her body and she realized a bag had been put on her head. She thrashed and managed to kick her assailant in the manhood sending him to the ground. Rome threw the bag off searching frantically for Rowan. He was nowhere in sight he must have run off. Hopefully he would find Sam. She picked the direction that seemed to lead back to the Main Street and began to run. Holding her dress wishing she would have worn trousers she ran as fast as she could kicking off her heels as some point. Rome turned the corner and ran right into a man. They both fell to the ground.