Chapter 3

Eventually, an unfamiliar genin team did find Tora, but it took their sensei to personally ask the women to hand over the cat before they relented. They still seemed suspicious of the four nin, but they had heard the rumors of the Daimyo's wife's runaway cat, so they handed over the angry feline with unhappy looks on their faces. 

Tora flicked his tail at me from the arms of the jonin, and I waved a paw at him before the team jumped onto the roofs, out of my sight. 

Shortly after they left, however, I saw Kakashi and Sasuke walking my direction from a few blocks away. I was about to run towards them, but a "tsk"ing noise coming from a table far in the back drew my attention. 

Padding over to the pair seated, I felt my heart jump as I identified them. 

Straw hats with dangling cloth. Faces well hidden in the shadows. The rings. The cloaks. 

Kisame continued his clicking noise as Itachi rolled his eyes in a barely perceptible way. I immediately ran and jumped onto Kisame, my claws clinging to his cloak. 

Against my will (not really), I started purring somewhat uncontrollably, my excitement leaking out of my small form. Kisame chuckled, and Itachi's face appeared less intense for a moment, though that could have just as easily been my imagination. 

Finding myself trapped and unable to retract my claws, I grow alarmed as I remember the chidori duo walking our way. Turning my head to stare at Itachi eye-to-eye, I use my tail to gesture to the sensei and student coming ever closer to the cafe. 

The elder Uchiha brother's eyes narrowed at me, then at the approaching pair. Just as Kakashi and Sasuke seemed to sense the two Akatsuki members watching them, the world shifted. I was still stuck to Kisame. 

We appeared on a (dangerously) familiar, deserted road, forest on one side and a partially man-made river on the other. 

Itachi glares at me as I dangle from his partner's cloak, and I get the feeling that I may or may not be in very deep trouble. 

Kisame gently removes me from his cloak, surprising me in his softness as he unhooks my claws, before rearranging me in his arms. Itachi's glare somehow worsens, but he simply turns around and starts walking. 

Kisame follows, and I get the distinct feeling that they do not intend on letting me go anytime soon. 

A few minutes later, I feel Kisame tense slightly before expertly evading one of Asuma's chakra blades, still holding me in one arm as the other grabs Samehada and swings it with the ease of familiarity. 

Asuma, Kurenai, and Kakashi simultaneously regroup in the center of the peaceful river, facing the two Akatsuki with angry and defiant looks. However, even I could sense their underlying fear and anticipation; it may as well be leaking off of them the same way Itachi and Kisame's impatient annoyance and slight amusement is. 

Gai shows up a few moments later, and I watch as Kurenai and Asuma close their eyes. Kakashi reveals his sharingan, and Gai, though it would be hard to tell if I didn't already know it, focuses on the cloaked figures' feet.

I was prepared to jump in to try ruining Itachi's genjutsu (don't ask me why I even considered it to be an idea that was in any way possible), but Kisame's grip on me tightens, and he gives a look that says, "Don't even think about it." He still has that shark-like grin on his face, and I get the feeling that this is my only warning. 

Deciding I would rather live another day than die (more than likely for nothing), I relax the muscles that had tensed up, but I subtly let my claws poke his forearm a bit. I don't pierce the skin, but it's just enough for my bull-headed, rebellious side to accept defeat. (This time...)

Just a handful of seconds later, Kakashi all but collapses, Itachi says something quietly but firmly, probably along the lines of "let's go", and the world once again seems to shift as the three of us shunshin to the next destination. 

~0~0~0~

BTW, I have rough drafts up to Chapter 11 written out, and I'm just trying to get at least one chapter up per week since I have my technology limited by my parents -_- 

Comment, share, vote!

~ Legend 🖤