Chapter 2

"So is she hot in a schoolgirl kind of way, or in a sexy-babe kind of way?"

I'm blushing so hard, I'm sure Cara can see me through the screen of my phone. "Shut up," I mumble.

"No, I'm serious," presses my blue-eyed friend. "Which one is it?"

I softly shake my head, pondering her question for a moment. "Not really either," I finally say, adjusting the grip on my phone.

I'm sitting in my bed, talking to Cara about Taylor over FaceTime, because even though it's been a full week since we met, she's all I can think about. Never mind that Mom had some strong words to say after I went MIA for a couple of hours.

"She's a mysterious kind of beautiful," I tell Cara. "Her eyes are so intense, like she's constantly trying to look deep into your soul. But her hair, and her lips, they're so soft. And her hands, dude, they flew across the frets of her guitar so naturally, like she's memorized the feel of the strings on her fingertips. And her voice sounds like angels, bro. She's an angel."

My eyes have wandered, like they always do when I'm thinking about Taylor, and I redirect them to Cara. She's staring at me with slight disbelief and amusement playing across her face.

"You're so fucking whipped, man," Cara states with a chuckle, and I let out a small laugh. "Karlie Kloss," she continues, "Gone for two days and shes already done for." She shakes her head in sarcastic disappointment. "How are you going to survive high school without me?"

My smile fades, and I groan with dread into the camera. "No idea dude, but I only have a couple of weeks to figure it out."

Cara hums in sympathy. "Who knows, maybe you'll find some amazing, gorgeous friend with a witty sense of humor and amazing eyebrows," she says. "Oh wait. That already happened, didn't it?" Cara licks her thumb and pinky fingers, runs them over her broad eyebrows, and winks into the camera.

I bust out laughing. This is why I love Cara so much. We've been best friends for years, and she's always been the one to stick with me through anything. Ever since the first day of middle school when I threw up on her shoes from being so nervous, we've been inseparable. Needless to say, I haven't done much puking since then, but when I do, Cara is the one to hold my hair aside and pat my back. Or was I guess. Now we're 894 miles apart from each other, and our friendship has been reduced to phone calls and FaceTime.

"I miss you," I announce suddenly, feeling the need to voice my thoughts.

Cara's face softens through the screen. "I miss you too," she replies gently.

We're both quiet for a moment until Cara breaks the silence.

"Now, how do you plan on scoring Taylor's number?"

* * * * * * * * * * * *

A week later, I've lost all self control, and I decide to once again pay a visit to the Bluebird Cafe.

It hadn't really occurred to me that Taylor might not be working on Saturdays, or that her shift might be over, but as I walk in and trigger the familiar chime of bells, I hear her voice coming from the stage area and let out a small breath of relief. Before I make my way to where the stage is, I force myself to order a coffee as to not seem too eager. The same girl stand behind the counter, Selena, if I'm remembering correctly.

She wears the same bright smile that she did before. "How can I help you?" she chirps.

I order my signature black coffee, and finally take the same seat that I did before, right in front of the stage. It's only then that I allow myself to look up and fully take in the sight before me.