Chapter 2

"What do you recommend?" Packing up my used items I put them in a biohazard bag for precaution. Looking back at the cow I know she is suffering.

"Personally I believe that it is too late for treatment, but if you want I can go ahead and push through it. Her chance of recovery is very slim, I'd say she's been fighting this since midday yesterday." As I had predicted Jesse's cow is suffering from severe Grain overload. At this stage I highly doubt intense treatment methods would be beneficial. Any treatment would just cause more pain, I wouldn't be able to stop her from passing after I administer medications. While the cow wouldn't have to have anesthesia, she would need a muscle relaxant.

With her heart rate being so low, I wouldn't feel confident with her ability to pull through. And that's just the medication aspect of the treatment. "What would treatment mean?" Sighing I stand and crack my back as I stretch.

"Well I'd need to remove the contents of her rumen, and replace it with healthy ruminal fluid. Since she's laying down I'd be forced to use a method called ruminal lavage. She'd then need intensive fluid therapy. I'll be honest, I'm not sure her body would be able to handle the medications needed for the procedure." I have to admit that this is one of the downsides to being a veterinarian. I love helping animals, helping them to heal and get better. I really hate it when there isn't anything that I can do to help a suffering animal.

Looking towards the cow, I watch as she releases a long pained breath and turns her head towards her belly once more. Her way of saying she's hurting, I bend down and gently pet her neck, hoping that Jesse will make the right decision in this case. Letting me give her some of the only relief I can provide at this point. "Your the doctor, if you say she can't be fixed I guess we need to put her down." I give him a slight nod, and grab what I need. It isn't long before I administer the euthansia and sit with the cow.

She lays out flat and starts to relax, I know it's working. "Such a good girl. Don't worry, you won't be hurting anymore." In situations where the owners are emotionally distant I always find myself stepping up to the plate of heartache and talking to the animal until they are laid to rest peacefully. I know it isn't necessary to do, and most would argue that it's just cattle and they don't need to be talked to like kids. I will always argue with any animal that love is something they should feel all the way till the end. If my whispered words of encouragement somehow help them peacefully go. Then no one will be able to stop me from my duty.

Giving her head one final stroke I stand up feeling a slight ache that this is the way this poor cattle had to go. "Thank you for trying doctor. Is there anything you can recommend?" Opening the biohazard bag once more I drop the items back in and start to pack the rest of my gear.

"Be careful with how you feed, what you feed. When you are introducing any animal to feed, or to a new feed, go slow. Keep an eye on your herd for any signs of distress." I run down the list of simple precautions, hoping that he will actually listen. With Jesse, who knows what the man will take away from today.

"Thank you Dr. K, what's going to be the damage from today?" Grabbing my receipt pad I write it all out, and rip it off handing it to him.

"Can you wait a moment while I write up a check."

"Sure, I'm still packing up so take the time you need." Grabbing the bag of waste I drop it in the metal bin I had installed in my truck especially for this reason. Pushing closed drawers, I finish putting things away. Pulling the trunk closed I head for the driver's seat, ready to get back to the clinic. Glancing at my wrist I check the time, two in the afternoon, I have to get back soon. Looking at my schedule I know that I have a client coming in for a regular check up and update on shots.