Chapter 4

I spent what felt like an hour trying to talk myself into working on a wolf that was very much awake and very much alert. Grabbing my bag I stepped into the cage I might as well just try. The worst that happens is I'm attacked and die. And with the new bomb that Marcy was so kind to just drop on me. I don't really care what happens at this point. I talked to the wolf trying to get him to understand that I'm going to be taking care of him. I just don't want him to hurt me.

He in turn cocked his head and laid down flat, it almost looked like he was saying he didn't want to hurt me. Of course that is probably my fried brain just attempting to make something up. Because no wolf is just going to let a human get close to them with sharp objects. At least that's what I thought. "Ok big guy, I'm going to take off the bandage and take a look. Is that ok with you?" The wolf just looks at me, and gives a head nod. I'm pretty sure that I just imagined that. I don't think that I could've been more tense if I tried. Then I looked at the wolf's injuries and felt my curiosity blossom.

What caused this to the wolf? The lacerations look like someone took a knife to his belly. "What on earth happened to you?" I feel myself ask and then I roll my eyes at myself. I'm really trying to go crazy at this point. I sigh, digging through my bag, trying to not let the fact that this wolf is awake and watching my movements bother me. I'm still not sure why I even thought this was a good idea. It's a little late to change my plans now. Hunting for the materials I look at the wolf in the eye and can't seem to look away.

His dark grey and black coat makes his golden eyes scream loudly. The vibrant color just seemed to scream intelligence. This wolf is massive, I start to wonder what breed he is. Tilting my head I watch as his eyes trace over my feature, and I suddenly get the feeling that I'm being inspected. Blushing I look away, pulling out a cleaning solution, my suture kit and something to numb the area. Taking a deep breath I stroke over his coat feeling a warm tingling. I really need to get my head examined at this point. "I'm going to numb the area. It'll hurt less I promise."

He just sighs and lays his head down with a whine, I wince feeling bad that I have to hurt him at all. Giving myself a shake I give him the injection and stroke over the fur of his head. Loving the silky feel of his coat, I'm surprised that his coat is so soft. I wait a few moments before I get to work cleaning and stitching the wounds. Talking mindlessly as I work, I'm not sure if it's supposed to distract him or myself. I mean I'm not exactly in my element working on a wolf that is alert, and this size.

Finishing up with the wounds I debate briefly on what to do with him. I will need to hold him for at least two days. I don't want to risk his sutures popping open quiet yet. Tying off the end of the last thread I pull back dropping my tools into a bag, I'll need to take care of them later. Removing a clean bandage set from my bag. "Can you stand for me, big guy? I need to wrap your wound again." I watch with interest as his eyes pop open and he stands with only a slight struggle. I give him a smile, questions bounce around in my mind. I just shake my head and reach under his belly and begin the process of wrapping his belly.

He makes this grunting groan sound and suddenly drops to a lying position. I furrow my brow and decide to just tie off the bandage and pack my things. Pulling my gloves off and finding another bio-hazard bag to drop them into. I feel my phone vibrate and I pull it out to look at the message. It's from Marcy, I roll my eyes opening it. 'I left the keys to the place on your windshield blades.' Scoffing at that I mumble under my breath. I really don't like her right now. I should call Kyle, I don't know how this conversation is going to go.

Maybe he wants to buy out my side of the practice. At least this way we don't have to argue what way to take the practice. Blowing out a breath I pull up his contact and move out of where the wolf is, I'll need to figure out something better than an old enclosure. Closing the cage I hear the sad whines and feel my heart starting to break. "I'm sorry big guy, I need to make a phone call, I'll be right back alright?" He gives me big puppy dog eyes and I instantly feel my heart melt. I hate stepping away but I need to make a call and look around. Reaching through the bars I scratch behind his ear.