Chapter 7

I shrug, it's not like I have anything to lose. He owns a contracting company, I don't think fate could've handed me a better opportunity if she tried. "Sure, beware though. The previous owner let it fall into disrepair, it needs quite a bit of work." I hear a quiet chuckle fall from his lips, the simple sound manages to send sparks to my soul.

"I've seen some pretty hellacious properties in my time, I don't think you can show me anything new here." I can only smile and shake my head, I don't know about that. This place is in pretty rough shape, I just don't know how much work is going to need to be put in. I walk up the steps, pausing at the door letting him walk up slower. He pushes against the railing, glancing at it. Opening the door I turn on the light, allowing Ezekial to walk in. Something about him calls out to me, making me pause.

There is something familiar about him, and I can't figure out what it is. Pushing my hand through my hair I look around, interested in what he sees in the place. "I know it isn't much quiet yet, but I've seen the place in its prime. It'll take some time to get it to where I'd like it." I nod, feeling like I need to justify my reasoning for owning the place to the man, which is pretty insane in my opinion. He's a stranger, it's not like I owe him anything, as rude as that might sound.

"It's impressive, owning a sanctuary of this size. Do you have experience with animals?" His question makes me nod, looking around the lobby.

"Yes, I'm a veterinarian actually. I just sold my practice to my partner to take up this - project." I shrug, project is really the only word I could come up with that seems to fit the best.

"That's a big career step. I'm impressed, second business venture at such a young age." I blush laughing nervously, turning my head down as I look around. I'm not old, but I'm not exactly young either.

"Thank you, I never knew this was where my career would take me." I laugh softly, as he looks around the place, his eyes focusing on the floor, seeing the warping. My brothers made sure to point that out, and how awful it looked.

"No one really knows where life is gonna take them, just that it'll be one hell of a ride." I grin, giving a laugh and a nod. I can agree with that, life is full of surprises, it always makes things interesting. "What are you looking to have done to the place?" I look around once more, pushing my hands in my pockets.

"Well my first goal is to make it safe and not a hazard. I've tripped myself over the loose tile too many times to count. I'd like to get it operating smoothly." Those are the only things I've really worried about, he chuckles walking over to one of the buckled tiles.

"What kind of style are you going for?" I blow out a breath, I'm not really all that good at designing things. I work with animals for a reason, I would be broke working as a decorator.

"I don't really know, I'm thinking something natural or rural?" I think about the word rural for a moment, I know that isn't right. He looks at me with a grin on his face even as he arches a brow.

"Rural?" I chuckle shaking my head as a blush stains my cheeks.

"I can't think of the word, I know it starts with an 'R'. The country vibe?" I ask laughing, almost wishing for him to come up with the word I'm thinking of.

"You mean rustic?" He asks and I nod closing my eyes before shaking my head at myself.

"Yeah, that's the word I was going for." Ezekial shakes his head at me with a grin, looking down the hallway. I take the que, and lead him through the building. Letting him peak into different doors and wander around. "Did you have anything specific for decor?" I shake my head with a slight shrug.