Chapter 3

"Goodbye Dr. K! I'm headed home, I'll see you tomorrow!" Ellie calls out having finished her day twenty minutes ago.

"Good night Ellie, I'll see you tomorrow, are you working up front again?"

"Yeah! Micah is going to be working with Kyle tomorrow." With that I hear the front door open and close, the bell ringing it's greeting. Another day of working by myself, oh what fun. I don't hate working alone, but I have to admit that I have become spoiled having assistant in day to day clinic activities, such as exams. Sure if I am performing a surgery then I do have an assistant, but other than that, I fly solo. Well until our receptionist gets back off of maternity leave.

With any luck that won't be too much longer, Sadie has been on maternity leave for two months already, she had an adorable baby boy last week. Sadie and her husband Daniel named their son Morgan and he is the cutest. I smile at that thought and glance out the window, thankful for the recent time change, I can't wait for warm weather to get here. Hearing my phone ring I pull it out as I finish closing down my office. My eyebrows furrow as I read the name. Marcy, a close family friend; I'm not really sure why she is calling me, normally she likes to talk to my parents.

Answering the phone I raise it to my ear, confused and curious as to what is going on. "Hello?"

"Kimana, how are you doing sweetie?" Her sugary sweet tone only seems to put me more on edge. Marcy isn't someone that I would classify as the cuddle sweet person. So hearing the nickname makes me very cautious.

"I'm doing alright, how are you Marcy?" Pinching the phone between my head and shoulder I slide my jacket on awkwardly. Stepping outside I lock up the clinic, feeling a slight breeze roll over the parking lot.

"Well, I've been better. Listen, I was wondering if you could come down to the Sanctuary?" Her words make me want to groan and stomp my foot like a child, normally I wouldn't even have to think about it, but I'm tired and just want to go home. Take a hot bath and then curl up under a crap ton of blankets.

"Is it important? I've had a long day at work." Pulling open my door I drop my things inside on the passenger side and climb in.

"It's an emergency. I would really appreciate your time." Making a face, I internally groan. I'm probably going to regret saying yes.

"Alright, I'll head over now. I shouldn't be long." Starting my truck, I back out listening for her response.

"Thank you Kimmy, I'll be waiting for you." Marcy hangs up and I am left wondering what kind of emergency she is in. Is it an animal that is hurt? Or is it just one of those moments where she just wants to get me there and it isn't dire? I'm not all that sure, she does use it's an emergency for things that aren't really life threatening, or much of an emergency. Because when I hear emergency I think more of life or death, not I've run out of coffee. And believe it or not, she actually gave Mac a call one day saying it was an emergency and it just turned out that she ran out of coffee.

Mac wasn't happy about that call that's for sure. He had a late night drinking, had a hangover and rushed to help her out with her said emergency when she just needed coffee. Driving towards the sanctuary I really hope that whatever she needs my help with will be quick. I don't have the patience to put up with a lot of nonsense. Marcy has owned an animal sanctuary for as long as I've known her. Although she never really has had much to do with it besides paying the bills.

I can't ever remember a time where she was personally involved in rescuing animals, or the rehabilitation process. It makes me wonder why on earth she even has it. Then again I try not to question the woman's thought process. Marcy has always been one of those people who just do things without really caring for consequences. While it gives her an air of fun and carefree personality. It bugs me to see someone just not caring and not acting responsible. Like in some situations it's cool to just go out on a whim and do something, like trying something new. Not just going out and blowing your husband's life insurance on an animal sanctuary because you could.