♡3

After they were done planting the roses, her dad poured them all a cup of coffee. Violet took a quick sip of hers, but excused herself to take a smoke break.

She was relieved when the cool air hit her growing hot face, when she stepped outside. She lit her cigarette while admiring all of the freshly planted roses.
She took a hit, and inhaled.

"I miss you so much." She finally breathed out, leaving a trail of smoke behind. "So much, mom."

She continued speaking to herself. "I wish you were here. I have so much I feel like I need to tell you, but I don't know where to start."

Her dad crept up on her, putting a hand on her shoulder. "She'd be proud of you, you know?"

Violet appreciated the gesture, but really just wanted some alone time. She nodded, anyway.

"She'd also tell you to quit smoking." He persisted. "You should really give your lungs a break, you know?"

Violet shot her dad a look, letting the smoke blow out of her mouth.

"I'm worried about you, V." He confessed.

"You're always worried about me." She said. "Mom would tell you to quit your worrying and take your meds."

Ray chuckled, "Fair enough. She would say that, wouldn't she? You're still going to therapy right?"

She sighed, "Yes, dad."

"Good." He said. "Does your therapist ever tell you to come around here more often?"

Violet gave him another look, "Dad, isn't the point of therapy for me to have a place to speak freely, and confidentially? Don't worry about what we talk about. I'm still going, once a week."

He nodded. "You should stay a while."

"I have to feed Dexter." She lied.

"How is that little fur ball?"

She chuckled, "He's great."

"Are you leaving now? Make sure you say goodbye to Lucy."

She put out her cigarette and nodded, "I will."

The next day was Saturday, and it was the night of Jenna's speed dating event. Violet was now dressed in a dark floral dress, white gold heels, and had much more makeup on than usual - consisting of a dark brown lipstick and winged eyeliner. She had even went as far as curling her hair. She still had a lit cigarette in hand, however.

"Put that out!" Her best friend requested beside her. Jenna was wearing a silky red dress, red lipstick, and had her hair in a classy low bun.

"You know those things take years off your life, right?" Jenna asked as they approached the downtown pub that she had rented out for the event.

"Then by all means," Violet smirked, "light me another."

"Not funny!" Jake said sternly, catching up with them. He took the cigarette out of her hand and put it out himself, before changing the subject. "You ladies look lovely. Ready to find love tonight?"
He nudged Violet, with a wink.

"Oh, please." Violet laughed. "I'm only doing this for Jenna. You do look nice, though."

Jake smiled, in his velvet green suit. It was his favorite. He had a white button down under it, with most of the buttons left open. That was very Jake.

Violet looked over at Jenna, "What about you? Are you participating?"

"No!" Jenna scoffed. "I'm the boss babe in charge here. You can't catch me slacking while I'm trying to make magic happen!"

"Not me!" Jake said. "I'm meeting my future wife tonight!"

Violet threw her head back in a laugh as Jake opened the heavy wooden door to the pub open for them. They were early, of course, to help Jenna set up. But before long, the pub was packed with young singles eager to get to know each other.

The mini dates lasted for 6 minutes each, before you had to move onto the next person.
Violet was currently sat across of a freckled face boy with ginger hair, who was going on and on about the fraternity he was in. Violet felt nauseas.

"So, yeah, it's pretty sick." He bragged. "There's actually a frat party, next weekend. It's supposed to be killer. Should I give you the address?"

"Uhh..." Violet trailed off, before hearing the loud dinger going off, signaling it was time to switch. "Times up!" She smiled.

She got up and switched her seat, now across of a girl with short, dark hair and a septum piercing.

The night went on like this. Violet spoke with the ginger boy, the girl, another very tall boy with dark blue eyes, a dark skinned girl covered in tattoos, a blonde boy with glasses, and a couple more frat boys who all just started to look exactly alike. Violet decided to take a break after the last "date", and went to find Jenna at the bar.

"How's it going?" Jenna asked, eagerly.

"You've done such a great job." Violet smiled, proud of her best friend. "I mean look at this!"

There were couples sat at every table, laughing and smiling. Everyone had a drink in hand, and there were notecards on the table of prompts and first date questions so everyone could get to know each other better. Jake was sat across of a girl with big brown eyes, dark skin, and beautiful braids. They seemed to be really hitting it off.

"How did he end up across of the prettiest girl here?" Jenna asked in disbelief, making Violet laugh. She turned to her friend. "Besides you, of course."

Violet chuckled. "Whatever. But really, this is really fun. You've done so well."

Jenna beamed under the praise. "Meet anyone you like?"

Violet shrugged, "Everyone is pretty cool."

Jenna sighed dramatically, and snapped her fingers. "But not good enough. They never are! Don't worry, I'll find you someone eventually."

Violet looked back at her, with her mouth wide open.

"What?" Jenna laughed.

"Jenna Bennet!" Violet said, "Tell me right now that you didn't plan this whole event to trick me into dating!"

Jenna cackled.
"Oh, don't say it like that! You make me sound so evil."

"You are evil!" Violet laughed back, grabbing Jenna's face.

"Here," Jenna kept giggling, "take a break and hang out with me instead."

They ordered martinis together, gulped them down, and threw back a couple shots.

"So you never told me," Jenna said, leaning her face in her hand, "how yesterday went."

"It was fine." Violet nodded. "I wasn't sure if now was the time or place to mention it."

Jenna grabbed Violet's hand.
"It doesn't matter where we are, or what we're doing. I'm here for you. And I want to know."

Violet squeezed it back.

"How were the roses?" Jenna asked.

Violet finally frowned. "Dad picked out all red ones." Was all she had to say. Jenna knew. She always understood so well.

"I'm sorry, V." Jenna nodded. "I can't imagine how hard this all must be."

"It's okay." Violet said, faking a smile. "I'm gonna get a breath of fresh air, okay? You keep being the boss babe."

Jenna smiled, huge, and motioned for Violet to go.
Once outside, however. Violet kept walking.

She didn't want to make a scene, but, she was ready to be out of the dating pool that was going on inside. She took a deep breath while roaming the downtown area.

Soon enough though, whether accidental or not, she found herself outside of the market once more. A cup of coffee sounded good to her at the moment, but she wasn't sure if that was just an excuse to be there or not.