♡5

Timothy practically waltzed into the front door of his townhouse.
His best friend, Lane Rivers, certainly noticed.

He sat on their leather couch, flannel unbuttoned, with a rolled joint in his hand and a plastered smirk on his face.

"What's all this about?" He asked with a sharply raised eyebrow.

Timothèe shut the door behind him, and backed up against it, with a deep sigh. "What?" He chuckled.

"That." Lane coughed. "Precisely that."

"Oh?" He questioned, shimmying over to the couch in his usual, goofy demeanor. "I can't just walk into my home in a fantastic mood?"

Lane just smirked again. He took a long hit of the joint, and breathed it back out.
"Alright, come here." He said. He hopped out of his position and approached Timothèe, who stood there just smiling happily to himself. They were almost nose to nose. Without asking first, Timothèe took the joint out of his hand and placed it between his own smiling teeth.

"Your cheeks are red." Lane examined. "And you haven't taken a hit yet. Your eyes are, somehow, brighter than usual and you're giggling like an anime character."

That last remark made Timothèe laugh even louder.

"I knew it." Lane grinned. "You met a girl."

Timothèe finally took a hit off the joint before gushing, "I absolutely did!"

Lane spun on his heels with a chuckle and took his more comfortable position back on the couch, kicking his feet up. "Oh, no. This can't be good."

"Oh, but it is!" Timothèe laughed, crouching down on the floor in front of him. He handed him the joint back. "Lane, this girl is so pretty. And she's smart- you can just tell. She's a writer, and she studied English at Boulder university, and she likes my coffee."

"You met her at the coffee shop?" Lane continued his examination.

"Yes!" Timothèe continued. "I met her the other day actually, but she came back in today right before I closed up. I wonder if she wanted to see me."

"Or maybe she wanted a fucking coffee." Lane shrugged, he was quite known for his sarcasm. "I mean that's sure as hell why I'd be in a coffee shop."

"Well, no." Timothèe shook his head. He looked like an excited puppy. "I offered her a coffee and she turned it down, so I got her a water instead- but that's besides the point. We just talked. For a good while. And I'm hanging out with her tomorrow."

Lane raised both of his eyebrows this time. "Oh, not bad. Maybe you are onto something then."

"Maybe." Timothèe shrugged with a smile. He sat cross legged on the rug, and Lane smiled to himself about how childish he looked.

Lane was sarcastic, sometimes moody, and unintentionally pessimistic. But Timothèe was exactly the opposite. For as long as Lane had known him, he was always smiling, always laughing about something. He only ever viewed the glass half full. He was imaginative, creative, and for lack of better description - a ray of sunshine. Lane had always had a soft spot for his joy.

"Let's not get carried away, though." Lane said, bringing Timothèe back down to Earth. "We both know how you can be with girls."

"What do you mean?" Timothèe asked, obliviously.

"One date and you're ready to put a down payment on an engagement ring." Lane scoffed. "That's what I mean."

Timothèe laughed nervously, scratching the back of his neck. "I dunno, I get excited."

"I know you do." He nodded, passing the joint back to him. "But then when they're not what you imagined, you get your heart broken. I just want to protect you."

"I know, I know." Timothèe nodded, readily grabbing the joint and taking another hit. "It's just- wow. She's really pretty. I couldn't stop thinking about her when she left the other day, and then out of nowhere she just appears again. I feel like that could mean something."

"Maybe it means she likes coffee."

"Oh, for Christ's sake, Lane!" Timothèe let out a belly laugh. "Let a man dream, would you?"

"Alright, alright." Lane laughed back. "So where are you taking her tomorrow, then?"

"Well, I dunno." Timothèe shrugged, with a cough. Lane instinctively took the joint once more.
"Technically," Timothèe continued, "she's taking me somewhere. I told her about that one project I have, where I have to find something beautiful in Colorado to take pictures of. She said she'd help me find some places."

"Oh." Lane nodded. "That's nice of her. I would've helped you with that but the most beautiful place I've found in Colorado so far is that downtown sushi place. Which reminds me, want to order takeout?"

Timothèe grinned, "I'd love nothing more."

Soon enough they were sat on the couch together, rewatching episodes of Ghost Adventures. Lane was happily devouring his extra spicy tuna roll and unagi and Timothèe was stuffing his face with teriyaki rice bowl and fried scallops.
They talked about their days, and how work went. Timothèe told Lane all about the new drinks coming to the menu at the coffee shop and Lane discussed his own job, working in a medicine lab. Lane was enrolled at Boulder University as well as Timothèe, but where Timothèe was mostly taking general classes, along with art and photography, Lane was studying to be a chemist. Timothèe always thought that Lane was the smartest person he knew.

Timothèe wanted to keep talking about Violet, but he didn't want to annoy his best friend and he definitely wasn't in the mood for another "you fall too fast and too hard" lecture, although deep down he knew he was right. So instead, Timothèe just smiled to himself, thinking about the pretty girl with the dark eyes and adorable laugh that, by some magical force, stumbled her way into his coffee shop.

He was so thankful that she did.