Chapter 154

Chapter 154: Kengyoku

The look on the city watch captain’s face did not change much, but the delight was palpable in his eyes. Without regard if it was an ambush, he energized his qi, drew his sword and swung it down at Mufasa!

A bright red ‘Danger'[1] character that only Mufasa himself could sense appeared over his head.

That blow couldn’t be blocked!

Nonetheless, Mufasa’s heart stirred—clenching his mercurial blade, he rattled it, directly repelling Bolt’s blow instead of trying to parry it!

His move should have sent Bolt flinching and staggered him enough to leave him defenseless, thereby creating an opening for a flurry of strikes. Bolt, however, did not so much as shake as he easily nullified the reflected blow, denying Mufasa his opening.

Mufasa could not help being stunned.

But unbeknownst to him, Bolt was even more stunned despite keeping a poker face.

His qi strike was stopped by someone not using qi? How could this be?!

Qi was the divine grace of the God of War Kratos’ given form, and fundamentally a supernatural strength just like magic. Moreover, the source of all the magic in this world was Magic Violet, and since both him and Kratos were two of the seven Divine Fathers, there was no distinct inequality between them—in the eyes of mortals, at least.

Hence, that attribute from the deity was supposed to be fatal, with normal people being unable to stop it at all no matter how good their way of the sword was.

That is, unless the person in question had left the restraint of rules and obtained a miracle of their own to become a legendary champion.

And Bolt would never believe that the youth before him was one such legendary champion. If he really were legendary, he would have gone out in force at the previous insult, blowing Bolt and the others up along with Lancaster itself.

Likewise, it should not be magic because Mufasa had not made any signs.

Hence, the only possibility left was divine art. There is a huge chance that Mufasa was buffed with some divine arts to hold himself against his qi!

Regardless if Bolt the city watch captain had made his conclusion, he withdrew the disdain he had been showing. The fact that Mufasa could stop a qi-powered strike made it evident that he was more than a mortal and had ventured into the domain of supernatural—not some existence to be harvested but one worthy of respect.

“I am Bolt Marbil, captain of Lancaster’s city watch, heir of the great swordsman Elton Cobb and a mark-bearer of the Temple of Glory!” He declared loudly at Mufasa. “Name yourself, special one!”

Such a long title, so cool.

Mufasa could not help feeling envious.

Hence, after a moment of silence, he imitated Bolt in return. “I am a witness of Rotten Bones’ fall, he who light torches in the land of tragic deaths, treasure seeker in the depths of the Grey Fjord and a warrior who repelled the fishmen’s invasion: your typical bystander, Mufasa!”

What typical bystander?! Both Bolt and the young noble were cursing inwardly.

Knowing that Mufasa was just making up some titles and reluctant to reveal himself, Bolt did not say another word and attacked Mufasa again.

However, instead of the opening and direct exchange of blows, the city watch captain had adopted a ruthless but unusual fighting style. With qi aiding him, his speed and strength far surpassed anyone else’s, and any other Player might have been distinctly disadvantaged and fallen right there and then. After all, the abandoned house was too small and too narrow: Mages and Rangers would never have the space to cast their skills, Shadow Rogues had never been good at direct fights, Clerics would get tongue-tied in their chanting while Spirit Swordsmen would have killed themselves in the process…