Chapter 37

Getting uncomfortable and restless in his seat, Hoseok silently got up, quietly opening the RV door just so he could step outside and breathe in the fresh night air. He walked to the entrance of the tunnel that they had entered, accidentally kicking a few small stones as he walked, which created an eerie echoing effect to bounce off of the walls. He walked until the dark night sky was directly above him, stars splattered delicately on the canvas of black as a strong breeze abused his comfortable attire.

Back in the RV, the others were still sound asleep, mirroring those who were also asleep in the other van. Yet Jungkook's body language as he slept began to show signs of unrest, the youngest trembling slightly at the swirling images that clouded his tired mind. He whimpered as his father came into view, weapon in hand, and as much as he tried to scramble away and scream, nothing happened. He couldn't move, and not a single sound came out of his open mouth as he tried desperately to get away. The nightmare caused his father to shapeshift suddenly into his old squad member that stabbed him, the same disgusting grin on his face that threw panic into Jungkook's mind.

'They're coming.'

Eyes flying open and a sharp gasp leaving his lips, Jungkook was thrown roughly back into reality, still trembling slightly and eyes pricking with tears as he failed to get rid of the flashbacks of the nightmare. It felt so real. His small but jerky movements had woken Taehyung up beside him, the older unsure on whether or not to do something as he felt Jungkook's body shaking slightly against his own. He didn't want to wake the others because he knew that Jungkook wouldn't want them to find out, but he didn't have to think any longer when the younger suddenly turned around so that they were facing, quickly burying his face into Taehyung's chest to try and get rid of the images, because for some reason, of all people, he felt safest with Taehyung.

"You okay?" Taehyung asked softly with a frown, draping an arm over Jungkook's body so that he could rub his back to help him calm down. Jungkook felt like something bad was going to happen, but he blamed it on his intrusive thoughts and just focused on the warm embrace that he was so gratefully being offered to get his wildly beating heart back under control.
"Y-yeah, sorry." Jungkook mumbled into Taehyung's hoodie, which was actually his own since Taehyung was borrowing it due to his lack of clothing, and Taehyung just continued to silently comfort him as he shook his head.

"Don't be, just try to go back to sleep." Taehyung said, feeling as Jungkook's body relaxed against his own, the younger being drawn back to sleep almost instantly. Taehyung took a few minutes to watch over Jungkook and make sure that his nightmare really was gone, before also succumbing to the darkness, his exhaustion getting the better of him.

Little did either of them know that their rest would be short-lived.

One light. A single light from a torch in the distance was enough to get Hoseok on high alert, knowing immediately that something was off as he caught the small glimmer in his peripheral vision. He squinted his eyes into the distance, a rush of adrenaline washing over him as he looked over to the river that was not quite so far away, seeing the shine of headlights reflecting on its dark surface. The low rumble of a military vehicle could be heard penetrating the silence of the night, and that's what made Hoseok curse and start running back into the tunnel to wake the others. South Camp was the only camp that owned military vehicles.

They were here.

Hoseok doesn't think he's ever ran as fast as he did then, he strong legs carrying him at a relentless pace until he reach the RV. The sound of him slamming the door open with such force was enough to wake the other four that were sleeping in there, Leanne jolting awake at the sudden noise while Yoongi just looked to Hoseok with a scowl.
"Dude, what the hell?!" Yoongi exclaimed quietly, but a look of concern immediately replaced his angry expression as he saw the look of pure fear on Hoseok's face.

"We need to get out of here! South Camp are on their way in a military vehicle, and I can guarantee they'll find us!" Hoseok exclaimed, his words hitting everyone like a hammer, especially Jungkook who had clung onto Taehyung at the information. Bringing himself to his thoughts and gaining rationality, Jungkook leapt up from the sofa, closely followed by Taehyung and Leanne who came up beside him.

"How close are they?" Yoongi asked with a look of horror, Hoseok swallowing hard as his throat felt incredibly dry.
"They're just passing the hill over that end of the river." Hoseok said, pointing with a shaking hand to the entrance and out across the land to where he'd seen them approaching, and everyone immediately looked to Jungkook for guidance.
"Hoseok, start the engine and keep the headlights off. I'm going to wake the others and we'll travel in the opposite direction. The military vehicles they have are heavier and slower, so if we go now we might be able to escape. But I don't know how far our fuel will carry us." Jungkook said hurriedly, rushing out of the door and straight to the other van.

He banged on the window, succeeding in startling and waking up Jin and Namjoon who sat in the front. Namjoon opened the door from the inside once he'd registered Jungkook's anxious expression, immediately understanding that they were in danger.
"South Camp is near. You need to start the engine and follow us as fast as you can." Jungkook panted, Namjoon blinking in shock, before nodding and shutting the door.
"What's going on?" Yuri asked from the back in a voice that was thick from sleep, Jin turning to face the girl who was sat beside her boyfriend.

"We've got company. Everyone hold on tight." Jin said gravely, nodding to Namjoon who started the engine and waited for the RV to lead the way through the tunnel. The tunnel was wide yet long and hidden, which was good apart from the fact that they didn't know where it ended up. If South Camp was to follow them, they'd have a clear aim at them with their guns, so they had to get moving. And they only way away from them was through the tunnel. That's when everyone heard three gunshots. They were distant, but way too close for their liking.

"Drive!" Jungkook shouted to Hoseok the moment he'd jumped through the door, holding onto the front seat for stability as Hoseok wasted no time in pressing his foot the the floor, the RV immediately accelerating through the tunnel. Leanne looked through the back window, seeing that Namjoon was close behind, and the moment she noticed that his headlights were on she rushed to the communication radio.

Pressing the button down, she leaned towards the microphone with urgency.
"Guys, turn your headlights off!" She said, Jungkook turning around to see what she was doing and feeling immediately relieved that at least someone had noticed.
"Roger that." Jin's voice came through, and immediately they were all plunged into darkness, the only light being the end of the tunnel.

They had to get out of there before it inevitably became too late.