::2::

"Your friend in time, Doc. Emmett L. Brown, September 1, 1885," Doc read, and Marty ran a hand through his hair.

"That's it," Rosie said with a shrug. "That's all you write."

"I never knew I could write anything so touching," Doc said.

"I know. It's beautiful," Marty said, patting his back. Suddenly, they heard Copernicus whimpering in the background. Rosie set a hand over her heart and walked over to the chair, picking the dog up and setting him on her lap, petting him.

"It's alright, Copernicus. Everything's gonna be fine," Doc said. Marty began to walk back.

"I'm sorry, Doc. It's all our fault you're stuck back there," Marty said. "I never should have let Biff get to me."

"Well there are plenty worse places to be than the old west," Doc replied. "I could've ended up in the Dark Ages. They probably would have burned me at the stake as a heretic or something."

"Yeah Marty. And he mentioned always wanting to go to the old west," Rosie said, getting the boy's attention. He looked at her and she raised Copernicus to her head, making them both look at Marty and gave a pouty look. Marty smiled at her and shook his head. She set the dog down and walked over to Marty, kissing his cheek.

"Exactly Rosie," Doc said. "Let's check the map. Alright, according to this, the time vehicle's sealed off in a side tunnel. We may have to blast."

"Can I do it?" Rosie asked.

Rosie turned the knob, causing a large explosion to erupt. The three ducked behind some tomb stones, facing away from the smoke. Marty stood up, and held his hand out for Rosie to take. She grabbed it and stood up.

   "Whoa," she said. "I can't believe that worked."

   "I think you woke up the dead with that blast," Marty said with a ringing in his ears. Doc chased after them holding an object.

   "Take this camera. I want to document everything!"

   They began to walk into the mine, everyone holding flashlights. Even Copernicus wore a headlamp.

   "This reminds me of the time I attempted to reach the center of the earth," Doc said. "I'd been reading my favorite author, Jules Verne. I spent weeks preparing that expedition. I didn't even get this far. Course, I was only twelve at the time."

   "Hard to imagine you as a kid Doc," Rosie said, watching her step.

   "You know, in his writings, Jules Verne has a profound effect on my life," Doc replied, much too far in thought to care about anything else. "It was when I was eleven that I first read Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. It was then that I realized that I must devote my life to science."

   "Doc, check it out. Look at this," Marty said, coming across a boarded up spot in the wall. Rosie and Doc rushed to his side.

   "Doc those are your initials!" Rosie said, shining her light on the carved letters.

   "You're right! Just like in Journey to the Center of the Earth! That means the time machine must be right through this wall," Doc thought out loud. The pulled the boards out, and rocks, dust, and dirt fell out. They shoved pickaxes into it, and soon formed a large hole. Inside, was the DeLorean.

   "How longs it been here?" Rosie asked. "For clarification?"

   "Seventy years, two months, and thirteen days," Doc said.

   "Just checking," she replied.

   "It's astounding!" Doc said. They began to investigate.

   "As you can see, the lightning bolt shortened out the time circuit control microchip," Marty read. "The attached sch-schem-."

   "Schematic," Rosie said sweetly. He looked at her with a calm and kind look.

   "Schematic diagram will allow you to build a replacement unit with 1955 components, thus restoring the time machine to perfect working order," he finished.

   "Unbelievable that this little piece of junk could be such a big problem," Doc said. "No wonder this circuit failed. It says 'made in Japan.'"

   "What do you mean Doc?" Rosie asked.

   "Yeah. All the best stuff is made in Japan," Marty continued. Doc looked up in shock.

   "Unbelievable," he repeated. With a little more toying and tinkering, they restored the DeLorean to working order.

Rosie looked around into the night nervously. She stepped back onto a twig and jumped lightly. Marty wrapped an arm around her waist to calm her.

"You know, when I was a kid, I always wanted to be a cowboy. And now, knowing I'm going to spend my future in the past, sounds like a wonderful way to spend my retirement years," Doc said. "It just occurred to me kids. Since I end up in 1885, perhaps I'm now in the history books. I wonder- could I go to the library and look myself up in the old newspaper archives?"

"I don't know Doc," Rosie said, shining a light on the car. "I'm not sure you're supposed to know,"

"Yeah doc. You're the one that's always saying it's not good to know too much about your own destiny," Marty said,

"I think you mean density," Rosie corrected jokingly.

"You're both right. I know too much already," Doc agreed. "Better that I not attempt to uncover the circumstances of my own future." He then called out to his dog.

"Come here boy!" Rosie yelled.

"I'll get him," Marty said. "Copernicus, come on. Let's go home, boy! What's wrong?"

"What's wrong Copernicus?" Rosie asked, following Marty. She bent down to get the dog, and Rosie's eyes widened. She reached over and grabbed the hem of Marty's jacket, pulling him down next to her.

"Rosie what's wro-," he started.

"Oh my god," Rosie said. "Doc!"

"Doc!" Marty repeated. The Doc heard the screams, and began to run towards the teenagers. "Quick!"

"What's wrong? You two look like you've seen a ghost,"

"You're not too far off, Doc?" Rosie said, pointing at the tomb stone. Doc read it and was taken aback.

"Great Scott!" Doc exclaimed.

"Check this out," Marty said. "Died September 7, 1885. That's one week after you wrote the letter! Erected in eternal memory by his beloved Clara."

"Who the hell is Clara?" Rosie exclaimed in frustration.

"Kids, please, don't stand there!" Doc exclaimed, and they looked down.

"Right!" They exclaimed, moving away.

"I gotta get another picture," Marty said. The camera flashed.

"Shot in the back by Buford Tannen... over a matter of eighty dollars? What kind of a future do you call that?"

"I don't know. But we're gonna find out."