1. Ecstacy

"For every ill turn of fortune,

There is a blessing in those bends and curves."

...

"What?" I finally questioned my ever-glaring friend, who wouldn't stop shooting me daggers with her eyes, throughout the entire journey from school to home. Her mouth was pursed in a small line of disapproval and I could've guessed why.

"I can't believe you chose to work today. I mean common, it's your birthday!" Mia huffed, plopping down on the old moth-eaten sofa.

I gave her a flat look, not knowing what else to do. As if I was having a choice.

Mia and the others had protested, earlier during class, when I affirmed my decision to work. Taking a leave might cost me my job, and I couldn't let that happen. Throughout my eighteen years of existence, I've done numerous jobs to survive. I just couldn't risk one of my source of living for a party. Life isn't all rainbows and cupcakes when you got a coke-addled abuser, for a mum. I still have the vivid memory of me, a five-year toddler, asking for a soft toy from her.

"Don't be a whiny lil bitch! Shut your shit face up or imma do it!"

"So, you can't spend the evening with us. Right?" Mia's question whammed me back to reality.

Sitting beside her, I nodded, looking down at the run-down floor. "I'm sorry but I really can't come. Although, I wish I could."

Leaning her head back, letting it rest, she let out a deep sigh.

"Hey! Don't be so sad. It's okay. Birthdays come and go. We'll celebrate it next year," I said, soothing her arm. Warning: shouldn't have said that.

Turning herself to face me, she imparted me her signature 'Are-you-shitting-me?' look. Drilling her cat-like index finger into my arm, she grumbled, "You said that last year. The year before last year. The year before that. And-"

"Oww, oww, owww, okay I know I'm a jerk, but you know Maria. She'll chuck me out the moment she finds an excuse to do so," I tried to reason with her. Maria, my employer, never had a liking for me, and I very well knew why. My mum. In fact, nobody in the town liked me because of her, with the obvious exceptions of my friends. Mum's frequently coming in and out of prison, her dabbling in drugs, being in unscrupulous relationships with married men and family members; the list was long. Her deeds were beyond heinous and had accounted for a lot of hatred towards me from everyone. She had ruined a number of families including our own and even after all this she never showed any bit of remorse. My own redemption for everything she had done wouldn't change a thing. Somewhere, I knew that this town would forever loathe me for something I had no control over.

Maria had hired me knowing that she could make me overwork; since she was very well aware that I didn't have any other places to go to. I mean, who would hire an unqualified girl for a respectable job, anyways?

"Can't she let you enjoy, just for one night?" Mia questioned, pouting her lips.

"I don't think so," I said, shrugging my shoulders. "She had already taken all my tips this month stating that I'm careless and I don't know how to work. Do you think if I take a leave today, she'll even bother to pay me a penny this month?"

"Ugh! That bitch. Why do you even work for her?"

I gave her a sad smile. Both Mia and I knew why I worked there. Although, Maria was a harsh woman, she had morals. All my past jobs consisted of men who would constantly try to abuse me physically as well as mentally. At least, Maria wouldn't do so or let anyone else in her café do that to me.