Chapter 3: A trip down memory lane

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  Throughout the story, thoughts are placed in between single quotation marks.

Let's shift our attention back to the frail little thing, currently lying in a crib, utterly baffled by both the symbol above her and the many confusing thoughts twirling around within.

As the baby turned her gaze to the side she saw a mirror conveniently positioned – as things in stories generally are – right next to her cradle.

That very instant the child's eyes stretched wide and she let out a frightful shriek.

Ah again, the reader must think her rather odd... well she is quite odd indeed.

Nevertheless, I shall explain why the poor creature uttered such a dreadful scream.

What the child saw was the color of her hair and eyes.

The reason this was so unsettling for the girl is because there was a character inside the book she had presumably read who also had pink hair and pink eyes.

Conveniently, as things truly only ever are in stories, this baby and the character within this so called book also share the same name – Alythia.

Yet the girl's life inside the book turned out as quite the tragedy.

She was born into the Ashwrith family as a Wielder. However, her mother died shortly after giving birth and her father went mad following his wife's passing - or at the very least, that was the tale that circulated far and wide.

He would often shut himself up for months on end, and the only person he allowed to step inside his study was a close childhood friend who had also recently lost his wife. 

This friend of his had a child - a boy around Alythia's age.

The two men would spend hours inside her Father's study – conversing in inaudible whispers. 

The girl never could understand exactly what they were so secretive about.

Be it as it may, the original Alythia, as the story goes, continued on even under such unfavorable circumstances. 

As she grew in stature her father's disgust for her seemed to grow with equal measure.

The more the child resembled her mother, the more her father distanced himself from her and from all affairs related to her.

Eventually, after his death, she was taken in by relatives who unfortunately did not treat her any better. 

Yet, after turning 16, the girl was finally able to escape her family' grasp.

In the beginning of their 17th  year all Elites are required to enter Elysium's Elite Academy – because yes dear reader, inside this world of magic there are schools for these sorts of things.

The academy is situated in the center of the country where all students reside for two years until they graduate at age 19.

Graduates then move on to form contracts and enter guilds – which are groups of Warrior-Familiar pairs that embark on quests together.