The Streets(1)

A small young woman crouched down in front of me with a light smile. Her black hair waved in the wind of the suburbs. She was looking at me with such sympathy but I didn't want any of that. I just wanted to have a loving family but that was ruined years ago.

"Hey Axis. I haven't seen you for a while. Where have you been?" a soft music like voice spoke. The woman had talked to me.

I sent her a small smile back before answering excitedly. "I started school Miss Neri! Five weeks ago and I made a new best friend! He's rich though and thinks I'm trying to get his money but I didn't even ask for it once. But that's okay because he's my first ever friend in years."

The woman's smile grew bigger. "Oh, that's wonderful news honey! Maybe one day you can bring this boy down so I can meet him. Hm? How does that sound? I can give you both some free deserts."

I glanced over at her bakery which was just across the street from where I was sitting. Ever since she had found me practically on the verge of starvation, she had been like a mother to me. I'm really thankful for her. If I hadn't have ever stumbled past her bakery then I would most likely have been dead somewhere and no one would have cared.

"That sounds awesome!" I gave her my brightest smile but quickly dropped it when I remembered that my rotting teeth were getting worse.

When she saw me do that though, her own smile dropped.

"Axis. Are you becoming self conscious about yourself again?"

With burning eyes I nodded and looked away from her. Being homeless with no family or friends and being newly turned sixteen was hard in the suburbs which consisted of a lot of rich people. I could barely find any food or a shelter much less any supplies to make me look not so...helpless and gross.

"Aw baby," she started. A quiet sigh escaped her.

She stood up and held her fragile hand towards me. I looked down at my own only to grimace and look away from them. There was no way I was going to touch Miss Neri with my bacteria infested hands.

I put my hands on the ground behind me to push myself onto my feet.

Another sigh came from her but she didn't say anything further.

Did I do something wrong? Why does she keep sighing like that?

I frowned lightly. Did she want me to touch her? Why? Everyone else I see always tries to avoid me as much as possible like I have a contagious deadly virus or something. Why doesn't she?

"Follow me," she told me. The woman started walking towards her bakery which was still open and pretty full.

I hesitated but followed her anyways. Why should I be worried about what the people in there think of me if they see me everyday in the streets? I shouldn't be but my heart is racing like I'm about to walk into my own death.

Once across the street, I stopped right outside her shop. I'm having second thoughts right now. Why does she want me to follow her in there?

A sigh similar to Miss Neri's escaped me. I can trust her and I do. With my life.

With those thoughts I walked through the doors being held open by her only to tense my whole being up. Two policemen were standing right in front of me with a woman who looked 100% business.

For years since my parents divorced and threw me out, I've been running from the police just to simply follow the one person I trust with my whole being to be led to my end. I can't be sent to a foster home.

"Mr. Demmere, we were called here with a report of a homeless child wandering around without parents or a guardian. We are here to get you into a foster home so that you can get a chance to have a loving family," one of the officers spoke softly. It didn't calm my anger or fear though.

I can't believe Miss Neri would betray me like this. Speaking of that witch, she came up to me and rested a hand on my shoulder. Even though I was mad at her I still found myself relaxing under her touch. I couldn't stay angry at her forever. I mean, she did take care of me for a few years and I feel like the least I can do is go to this foster place.

"Will you comply or will we have to get you to go with a bit of a fight?" the 100% business woman spoke.

I glanced down at my shoeless feet with a frown. A tear slipped down my dirty cheek followed by a whole team of them.

"I-I'll go with you," I mumbled almost silently.

"What was that?" the other woman asked in her all work no play tone.

"I'll comply."

"Good."