monday, september 24: where to hide a secret double life

I've done nothing all weekend.

How in the fuck am I supposed to survive this terrible town without Madelyn

I'm like tortured by the idea that she ran away. She wouldn't run away without a real reason — and she would never have hidden something that big from me. Not something so big she had tor run away from me. 

But what are the alternatives? If she didn't leave -- by choice, with her will intact -- she was taken away by force. Those are the only two options, so what am I hoping for here?

The police seem to think that she has her cell phone, and if she'd just turn it on they could find her. Maddie's not an idiot though. If she ran away, and she didn't want to be found, she wouldn't have brought her phone. In which case, her phone is sitting somewhere, waiting for someone to find it. But where the fuck did she put it?

Ok now I'm imagining all the circumstances under which her cell phone would become lost in some way. Spoiler alert: all bad. All of the circumstances are bad.

K I just went and got a bowl of cereal and listen — we're just gonna assume nothing terrible happened to her and that she left her phone somewhere because that's THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE POSSIBILITY. And if she did leave it somewhere, I know where she might have left it. Writing is awesome, my hot therapist was totally right, hobbies are the best. (I'll never tell her that)

There's this abandoned house out on Circem Street, out in the outer neighborhoods of Black Lake. It's like two blocks from the turn off onto the old lumber roads is, and everyone says it's haunted, so no one ever goes in except on a dare.

We used to go there as kids to play ouja board and scare the shit out of ourselves. All the way up until Maddie got her car we'd hang out there when our houses were too much to deal with. We haven't been there together in years, but that doesn't mean she stopped going.

I can't go today, I have therapy, but I'll go tomorrow.

I feel weird and giddy now. I can picture her going there so clearly. If she was hiding something, that's where she'd hide it. That's where I'd hide my secret double life so

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

According to local legend, the Circem Street house was cursed by witches, and that's why it's haunted. As far as I know -- and I'm in a position to know fairly well at this point, having spent so much in that house -- those legends are untrue. But I digress.