wednesday, october 3: predictable teenaged self-loathing

I think Warren Miller is hitting on me. Three weeks ago this would have been like the news of the century but now I honestly don't give a shit. He's been like hunting me down at lunch to sit with me, and he's being like... awkwardly nice to me?

Warren Miller is not a nice person. Warren Miller is the kind of person to light a bonfire in the middle of the track field. He spends most of his school days sharing joints with Keith Handell behind the dumpsters. I've never seen him go to any class that wasn't Ms. Duke's art class. 

He always sits in the back of her room with his headphones blasting to show off chaotic his music taste is, and silently judges everyone's art. I should know, I had art with him last year and once he saw the still life I was working on and said it was I dunno, sorta commercial.

Maddie says my crush on Warren Miller is a manifestation of predictable teenaged self-loathing. She is correct. I've had a fat crush on him for a year, and it's totally because he keeps calling my art derivative.

Anyways, he's being nice now and it's super unattractive.

He was sitting behind me today while we were supposed to be working on these huge self portraits. Instead I was drawing a milk carton with Maddie's face on the side of it,

and I was deep in the zone, feeling sorry for myself, when I felt a presence at my shoulder

and I was deep in the zone, feeling sorry for myself, when I felt a presence at my shoulder. There was Warren Miller in his flannel, and denim vest, and fraying jeans, and gigantic headphones. 

He said, "I like it" and like weirdly elbowed me in the shoulder? 

So I said "Fuck you," because the drawing isn't even good, it's pathetic and indulgent and obvious, and if he hadn't been feeling fucking sorry for me that's exactly what he would have said.

I am so sick of everyone feeling sorry for me.

Anyways, I was still pissed off after school so I went back to the Circem Street house hoping that the Hawthornes would be there but they weren't. There was no evidence of them being there except for a sessions bottle in the corner and some tape stuck to one of the walls. The corners of photos and newspaper cut outs were still stuck under the tape. I'm imagining a whole web of evidence about Madelyn's case taped up there

but it's gone now, and the Hawthornes are also gone, and I don't know where to find them

I feel like I'm the only person in this terrible town still looking for her. It hasn't even been 3 weeks and barely anyone goes to the search parties anymore. 

Of course they don't go. They all think she's laying on a beach somewhere.