Chapter 5

"Mate"

"Mate"
Aspen and I share a look of pure bewilderment at what we have just witnessed.

Jasper and Brina.

Brina and Jasper.

Quite yet fierce Brina.

Loud but sweet Jasper.

Mates.

This is insane. How could this happen? Now the only thing that could surprise me now is if Aspen meets her mate in the next ten minuets.

"Uh. Jasper? Brina? Are you guys okay?"

Both J and B shake their heads like they were trying to escape a weird dream.

"How could you ask me if I was okay at a time like this? I just found out that I have known my mate since, forever, and didn't even know it! How could I not know it? We've been 18 for a few months. Why didn't we know?"

Brina looks slightly dazed with a large smile on her face.

"I, um, well you see... I'm a hybrid. Ya know part witch part wolf, ya anyway um, so, ya and... Could you stop looking at me like that? You're making me nervous."

Jasper immediately closes his eyes.

Dork.

"Thank you. Now as I was trying to say, because I'm a hybrid, we only recognize who our mate is on the eclipse once we are both 18. Werewolves can recognize their mate anytime of the year but it's different for me. I mean sure, quite a few wolves meet their mates here, but that not how it has to be."

"Cool! Brina is gonna be my sister-in-law! Jasper, you hurt her, I kill you. Understand little brother?"

Jasper opens his eyes and nods his head incredibly fast.

"I would rather die than hurt Brina."

"Good."

A Few Minuets Later

Aspen and I decided to dance together, because, lets be real, we were already sick of the new lovebirds.

Laughing and twirling. Just like we used to when we were kids.

Everything was going great until...

"Mate"

Oh come on! Really? Both of my best friends in the time frame of a few minuets?

Who could the lucky guy be?

"Mate"

Of course.

Jasper has to be my servant for a week.

I love it when I'm right.

"Ryker how very nice to see you tonight. Well I guess this is my cue to leave. Aspen, dear, I always told you Ryker was gonna be your mate. See you guys later. Don't enjoy the new bond too much."

It's like they didn't even notice me leave. They were too busy staring into each others eyes.

Gross.

I think its adorable. Both of our friends met their mates and already feel the strong bond between them. Both couples are so cute. How could you think other wise? You're just grumpy cause we haven't met our mate yet. Don't get me wrong, I want to meet him more than you do, but at least I'm not being a grumpy bear.

Whatever Rayne. I really don't care.

If you don't care then why are we leaving the ball so soon?