Chapter 2: Crisis

What in the flying fuck?" is the recurring thought in every pilot in their respective aircraft as they saw dragons fly about all over the area of operations.

They expected heavily-armed terrorists supplemented with Technicals, heavy power armor, or even MTs, but this?

This is absolute bullshit.

There are those who are beginning to question their own sanity, while some others wondered to themselves if it's an act of a rather bored deity. The latter are actually correct with their presumptions, but they don't know that, nor do they ever need to.

"The hell? Who thought it'd be a bloody great idea to do genetic experiments with lizards and turn them into muthafuckin' dragons?!" exclaimed a rather pissed helicopter pilot of Australian descent as they began to draw in closer to the landing zone.

His copilot, who is just as equally stupefied as he was, managed to gain his wits and replied, "Dunno mate, but they're attacking us! That's good enough reason for us to blast 'em bastards to bits!"

"Amen to that!" the occupants of the helicopter said as the door gunners began to open fire with their heavy machine guns.

----------

Remus Tu Faluna was idly cruising around with his dragon, watching with clear distaste as his comrades pillaged, raped, and slaughtered everything and everyone in their way.

Unlike those fools from the Empire, he didn't like mindless murder. His father, despite being a high-ranking mage in Rondel, was a very honorable and kind man even towards his enemies, and he made sure that his children would follow his footsteps. And so, even though Remus was ordered have his men kill as many as possible, he stayed true to his moralities and virtues, something that is quite unusual for a soldier that is supposed to kill.

But that's not all there is to him, as he descended from a bloodline of prestigious magic users that existed ever since the Saderan Empire was founded. And coming from a family of mages, he had some studies in the thaumaturgic arts. As a child, he was always lauded as the smartest and the most gifted among his siblings, and his parents made him study magic at a very young age because of it.

But even though he was so close to actually becoming a Sage at his teens, he still felt no satisfaction from all of his achievements.

Creating a new spell? Nope!

Finding a new scientific discovery? Nu-uh!

Discovering some new species? Nada!

Being a researcher of magic never felt right for him, not at all.

And so, at the young age of 16, he quit his studies and travelled all over Falmart for 2 years, and it was then that he discovered one thing about himself...

He liked- no, loved the thrill of battle. It may go against what he was taught as a child, but it is what his heart desired.

Making up his mind, he went to the capital and enlisted as a soldier, and with the help of his intelligence, hard work, and the experience he accumulated from many wars and battles he participated in, he managed to become an officer of the Empire's Dragon Rider Corps in a short time period, as expected of a prodigy like him.