Chapter 16: Stranded

"Al, this is crazy."

Ahsoka's voice was barely audible over the roar of the speeder's engine and the howling wind and Al used all her strength to lift her wrist to her mouth. "Look, just stall your Master until I get back or the base is destroyed."

"Stall him? Why would I need to stall him?"

"Because I need you on the registers telling me where to go." Al stopped the speeder. "I can sense he's close, but I don't know where."

"How do I get that information exactly?" She could tell Ahsoka was getting irritated.

Al got off her speeder and began to walk around, squinting in the dim light. "It's in the communications tent. Where briefings are and everything. Krell should be keeping tabs on Red Hawk from there even if there isn't an extraction team."

"Got it. It might take a while though, Anakin's still talking with your master."

Taking a deep breath, Al sat down and leaned her head back on her speeder. "I don't mind waiting."

"I'll let you know when I'm in. Ahsoka out."

Al watched the light go off on her comlink and let out a sigh. Here she was, alone again. Ahsoka hadn't abandoned her, but out in the wilderness it sure did feel that way. The ground was soft and the casual sounds of wildlife eventually caused her to drift off, the comlink in her hand falling to the muddy ground.

<~>

Red Hawk batted another leaf out of his face and hurried after Crusher. "I'm still confused. How did you get here again?"

"I'll tell you," Crusher called from ahead. "We just have to get out of the jungle first."

"Why?" Blue Jay asked, falling into step next to Red Hawk.

"It gets restless in the morning."

"Okay," Axe said from behind. "Your friend seems mental if you know what I mean."

"Agreed," Data chimed in. "His statements seem preposterous."

"Maybe he's talking about the wildlife getting restless," Dyn encouraged. "I mean, we don't know he's crazy."

Crusher suddenly stopped and all the clones behind him froze. Red Hawk trudged up next to his old commander and looked through the thick forest.

"Um, Crusher? What exactly are you looking for?"

"The forest should be waking up about now." Crusher pointed to the many heat signatures popping up on the data-pad. "As long as we stay on this trail the wildlife should leave us alone. Now, tell me why you boys are out here in the middle of nowhere. Scouting mission?"

"Our general sent us to destroy a nearby clanker base. We were on our way there when we got sidetracked," Red Hawk explained.

Crusher thought for a moment. "I know that base. It's not too far from here, just a few klicks northeast."

"Splendid," Data said from the back of the group. "We'll be on our way then."

"Wait," Blue Jay spoke up, looking at the rest of the group and then ahead at Red Hawk and Crusher. "Back on Kamino, Crusher was the best of the best. Every clone wanted to be under his command."

"What does his backstory have to do with the mission?" Axe snapped, batting another large leaf from his face.

Blue Jay shot him a look before continuing. "The point I'm trying to make is: Crusher can help us with the mission."