entr'acte

The smoke filled the air around them and Al just sat and watched the fire burn. The world had turned it's back on her again.

Cassi, her mother, her father, now Red Hawk.

Why did the universe hate her?

"Kid." She turned to the sound of the familiar voice.

Blue Jay stood a ways behind her, his eyes red from smoke and tears. "We're heading out."

"I want to stay."

"I know you do, but we have to move out. The Separatists will send reinforcements and then we're all screwed."

Not knowing how she managed, she slowly rose and followed him back to where Crusher was waiting with Axe, Brer, Dyn, Bits, and Data. Brer and Dyn were holding Data up and his leg was wrapped in a bandage, blood seeping through. Nisu was sitting down next to the lump of dirt Red Hawk now lay under, her feathers drooping and not making a sound. It was strange for the energetic bird to not be dancing around, flapping, but Al sensed immense amounts of grief coming off of her. Maybe it just affected all of them.

"I called for Republic transportation," Crusher said, breaking the silence. "General Skywalker was the first to respond, he seemed to be the only commander on site."

"Of course Krell left," Blue Jay muttered. "When do they get here?"

"The general said about thirty minutes and I called no more than twenty minutes ago, so sometime soon."

"What's wrong with Nisu?" Al asked, startling most of the group after her long, depressed silence. 

Crusher sighed. "She takes grief much more seriously than other species do. Her kind can live for thousands of years, so death is rare among them."

Al walked up to the creature and stroked her soft, beautiful feathers. "I'm sorry you had to be here. This wasn't supposed to happen."

A firm hand on her shoulder and the sound of gunship engines made her turn around to see Ahsoka flying towards her, arms open wide. They embraced tightly and though Ahsoka didn't know what happened, she didn't ask about the absence of Red Hawk as the clones trudged to the gunships. But Al did notice a gap that wasn't because one of the team had died. Crusher wasn't with them. 

She turned around, confused. "Are you coming?"

Crusher had moved over to Nisu, but turned when Al addressed him. "No. My place is here."

"I'll stay with you," Blue Jay said, stepping out of the gunship.

"No," Crusher said again. "You need to be with the kid."

"But-"

"No excuses. That's your job soldier."

Blue Jay didn't seem upset by not staying with Crusher, but Al could sense the distress coming off of him as they flew back to the base. When they landed, Anakin was waiting there for them. He didn't embrace Ahsoka, or do anything he might have done, but Al could tell Ahsoka told him not to. She didn't expect to see Krell, but she certainly didn't expect to see Aayla. It was a surprise, sure, but a welcome one.  Al found herself running to her old friend and letting herself cry on Aayla's shoulders. Softly, Aayla whispered soothing words to her and stroked her head tails, sending warmth and comfort to Al through the Force. 

It worked, and Al allowed Aayla to pull her onto the transport ship and take her to Coruscant.